Wednesday, December 3, 2014

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE...(ninety eighth installment)

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
98th installment
warning...adult content



~

"Hey, Steve, are we gonna do a show, soon?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Kinsey said we could next Saturday," Steve said.

"Well, we should go over our songs, before then. Which ones this time?"

"We have those new ones, so those, I think would be good," Steve said. "Then some we know everybody likes."

"Ok, I'm gonna try to remember the new ones," Ghost said, and began singing, trying to remember the words. 

~

As Steve pulled into the parking lot, at the thrift store, Steve asked, "Ya sure ya want shoes from here, Ghost? We can get new ones if we want to, now."

"I know, but I like this store. Things are already broke in...not all stiff and new. And besides, I like to give them a new home, with me. Somebody got mad at them, and gave them away, so they're sad."

"That's weird, Ghost," Steve said. "Clothes don't feel sad, or anything else."

"How do you know, Steve? Can you feel what they feel?"

"No, I can't, and I don't think you can either."

"Well, maybe I can, and maybe I just want to save them from being thrown out."

"Ok, fine...let's go find some things to save, then," Steve said, rolling his eyes.

They went in, and began to look around. They were in no hurry. Ghost found some canvas sneakers he could write on, and some cool looking Ugg boots, just his size. Steve checked out the t-shirts with funny sayings on them. He came and showed Ghost one he'd found.

"What do ya think of this one?" Steve asked, holding it up. The front was printed with the logo of the tv show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". He laughed, "This one I've gotta have."

"That's not funny, Steve, put it back."

"Nope, I'm getting it, and wearing it Saturday night," Steve said.

"You want to  draw attention to what happened?" Ghost asked.

"Nobody knows nothing about there being real vampires in town," Steve said, "and this is just from a silly tv show."

"Sure, then go ahead...see how many people ask about it," Ghost said.

"Ok, I will," Steve said, then went back to find more shirts.

Ghost looked through the miscellaneous bins, and found a couple of patches to sew onto his Army jacket. He then wandered over to find Steve, still looking through the t-shirts.

"Did ya find anything else?" he asked.

"Yeah, a couple, and this here one's for you." Steve held up a soft, long-sleeved shirt with the logo of another tv show on the front. This one was printed, "Ghost Adventures". Ghost grinned, "I like it."

They looked over the camping equipment, but felt like they had enough, for now. Steve found a few books to add to his collection, though.

"Well, ya ready to get some lunch?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, maybe we could get that pizza, now." Ghost agreed.

So, that's what they did. They enjoyed their afternoon..no stress, no worries...

~

Back in Missing Mile, though, things were not so peaceful. Trevor and Zach stopped into Terry's shop, and also into the club, asking about Nothing. They found out that Nothing and Steve had argued, right before Nothing left, and that Steve left right after. They were not liking what they heard.

"We need to go out to Ghost's house, to talk to Steve," Zach said. "He lied to us this morning...or at least didn't tell us the whole story, ya know."

So, they drove out to Burnt Church road, leaving Terry and Kinsey with information to gossip about. Terry called Kinsey, as soon as they'd left his shop.

"What do you make of it," Terry asked.

"I don't know, but I told you about the other night, right?" Kinsey said. "Steve was going on about Nothing being a vampire. Craziest I've ever seen him. Now, Nothing comes up missing...doesn't sound good, Terry, doesn't sound good, at all."

Terry nodded, "Well, Nothing is pretty strange...maybe he just flaked out...took off with all the money, and left Trevor and Zach to fend for themselves. Wouldn't be the first time we all got screwed by a manager, ya know," he shrugged. "Me, it don't matter that much...the money. I got enough. I just like playing in a band. But, those two kids, they need it. Damn shame, if that's what happened," Terry went on.

"I know," Kinsey said, "but something's fishy about it. They went out there, to see Steve. Guess we'll hear what happens."

"Yeah, guess we will at that," Terry said.

~

Zach drove down the road to Ghost's house.

"Where's his house?" Trevor asked.

"I heard it was down at the dead end of Burnt Church road. That's what we're on right now. Guess we'll see it when the road ends," Zach said.

"Do you think it'll be creepy? I mean, Ghost is kinda weird...maybe he has a haunted old house."

"How should I know, Trev. Couldn't be much creepier than your house," Zach said.

"Yeah, but we're used to our weird things, and they don't happen as much now, anyway," Trevor said. "I always thought I had to stay there, but you didn't have to." Trevor looked over at Zach.

Zach smiled, "I knew I had to, as soon as I met you. I didn't know about the house until later...then I didn't care. I was staying wherever you were." Zach took Trevor's hand, squeezing it.

"I'm glad you did, Zach, it just wouldn't be the same without you."

They came to the end of the road and stopped.

"It has to be here somewhere," Zach said, looking around. "This is the end of the road. All we can do is turn around and go back; there isn't any other road."

"Yeah, that's weird, already...a road that goes nowhere..except a Ghost's house," Trevor said.

Zach gave Trevor a look, "Dude, you're getting all spooked, and it's not Halloween for another two weeks."

"Well, where is it, then?" Trevor asked.

All they could see were pine trees, and vines...a wall of greens, yellows, and oranges of the fall vegetation on either side of the road. Driving slowly back in the other direction, Trevor pointed out a narrow, dirt path, they'd missed the first time.

"Look, is that a road, or trail, there?" Trevor said.

"Where?" Zach looked closer, then stopped the car. "Oh, yeah, now I see it..kinda by that crooked tree,.but can a car even go down there?"

"Well, you can try, or we can walk, but Steve has a car...he gets to their house, somehow." Trevor said.

"Ok, I'll try it," Zach said, as he pulled onto the dirt path. The tree limbs scraped the sides of the car. "Hang on, I'm going a little farther up here. If I don't see a house soon, I'm turning back."

They did come upon a small opening, that was relatively clear of trees. "There it is, Zach," Trevor pointed to the house, and the gravel drive. "It doesn't look very scary," he said. "It's old, but just a house, right?"

Zach pulled up in front of the house. They sat there a minute, staring at it.

"I don't see Steve's car anywhere. Maybe they're not home," Trevor said, ready to leave.

"Well, come on, let's go see, first," Zach said, as he got out of the car.

"Uh, now it's getting creepy, Zach," Trevor said. He'd stopped, when he saw the warding off star painted on the porch, and the metal, gargoyle door knocker.

"Well, we're here...we're not gonna back off now," Zach said. He grabbed the ring that hung down from the gargoyles nose, and knocked on the door.

Nothing happened. Zach shrugged, then knocked again.

"Let's go, Zach. They're not here."

"Just a minute...I'm going around back, first...just to see what's back there, c'mon," Zach said, then started off around the side of the house

The back yard looked pretty normal...a garden plot, going to seed, a few pumpkins, a scraggly tomato plant, it's leaves dried up...only a couple of left over tomatoes hanging on. There was a wheelbarrow, and a water hose nearby. The ground was muddy around the porch. Scanning the far back yard, through the trees, Zach spotted the old Civil War graveyard.

"Look at that!" He grabbed Trevor's arm.

"Oh, my God! Let's get outta here...that's enough. I've seen enough, Zach."

They ran back to the car and started laughing, as they locked all the doors. "Get us out of here, Zach. That's just too unreal...Ghost lives in a graveyard!"

They headed back down the dirt path and onto the main road. Just as they came to the road leading to Missing Mile, they passed Steve and Ghost, heading home. They didn't know it was them, though...they'd never seen Steve's car before, but Steve had seen Zach at the wheel of his own car.

"Ghost...that was Zach and Trevor. They were at the house. I'm turning around...gonna ask them why they were snooping around out here." Steve said.

"Wait, Steve," Ghost said. "Let's check the house, first. They probably just left, when they found out we weren't home...and besides, they're gonna ask about Nothing."

"Oh, yeah...I don't know what to say about that anyway...not yet, at least. We better get the story straight...and you better keep your mouth shut, Ghost. You almost blabbed the whole thing, this morning. You just pretend you don't know anything about it," Steve said.

"But, Steve...I do know."

"Don't start with that 'I can't lie' shit, Ghost. This is one time you might have to. So, if you just keep quiet, then you won't be lying...'cause you won't be saying anything...understand?"

"Yeah, Steve, I understand. I'll be quiet...I won't say anything."

They pulled up to the house. Looking around, Steve said, "Well, looks ok...go check around back...I'm going in."

After checking out the inside of the house, Steve opened the back door, "Hey, see anything out there?" he hollered to Ghost.

"Not really...just muddy footprints. Guess they were back here, too."

"Not much to get excited about, I guess...we'll just leave it as it is then, for now, anyway," said Steve.

Back inside, Ghost asked, "Do you think they'll be back?"

"Don't imagine it'll be tonight."

~

Next installment coming soon!



Peace, Love, & Writing  






No comments:

Post a Comment