Sunday, May 3, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 164

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 164
warning...adult content



~
Terry and Steve continued discussing the mixing and burning of the songs onto the CD. Ghost was at the counter, still drinking his coffee, inhaling the steam, as he closed his eyes, almost going back to sleep. R. J. came over to talk.

"So, did Steve get in the mood, last night?" he asked.

"Huh? He sang the songs...we both did," Ghost said. He looked R. J. in the eyes, "and, I'm not gonna answer the next question you're thinking of, so don't even ask it."

"Ok, ok," R. J. said, backing off. He went over to see what Steve and Terry were talking about.

"You ready to record your bass lines, now," Terry asked.

R. J. nodded, "Sure," he said, going to get his guitar, and going into the recording booth. It didn't take him long to do his parts.

Then it was Terry's turn on his drums. While he was doing that, Steve was listing everything else that needed to be done. He'd given Terry the photograph, of himself and Ghost that they were to use for the CD cover, just as it was, and also the notes Ghost had written for it, including the front cover script.

Terry finished his drumming, then went to see what Steve had gotten done.

"I'm impressed, Steve," he said. "This is really coming together."

"Yeah, it's looking good," Steve said, agreeing. "There's something else...I want you to go ahead and mix the whole thing, and then Ghost and I'll listen to it first, before we make the rest. I don't want to make any changes at all to our parts. Just take it for what it is, ok...leave it all in. And, we aren't going to be here when you first hear these. I'm nervous about it enough already. I couldn't deal with seeing your reaction, right now. Just promise me you'll leave everything in," Steve said.

"Ok, Steve, what you say, goes...no changes. I got it." He thought for a minute. "You know people are going to hear it...I mean you plan on selling these, and I guess we'll play them at the live shows? You've never been nervous about y'all's songs before, why now?"

Steve looked down at the papers on the work table, shuffling them around, then sighed. "Terry...just listen to them. And, I don't know that we'll ever do these ones at a show. I don't think either one of us could get through them."

Terry shrugged, "Ok, dude, I get it...I think. Well, let me get started then. Y'all can go. In fact, why don't you go get a phone. I'm gonna have to get a carrier pigeon to run messages over to y'all. Gas costs too much to be driving out there all the time," he said.

"Good idea," Steve said. He looked over at the counter. Ghost was still there, but had his head down, fast asleep. "Hey, Ghost, wake up...we got stuff to do."

"I'm awake...I'm coming," Ghost said.

"Later, Terry," Steve said, as he and Ghost went out to the car.

~
"Where did Kinsey get the phone he gave us? Was it here in town somewhere?" Steve asked.

"I don't know. We could go ask him," Ghost said.

"Yeah, probably should," Steve said. He drove over to the club.

As they went in the back door, they didn't see Kinsey in his office, but the light was on. The rest of the club was in darkness.

"Is he here?" Ghost asked.

"Maybe he's upstairs, let's go see," Steve said.

After knocking on Kinsey's apartment door, Kinsey greeted them. "Hey, guys, come on in. I'm just being lazy today. Y'all want some coffee?"

They'd been here a lot in the past, but not so much recently. Kinsey's place was always warm and inviting, though. The tv was playing an old black and white movie, and a table lamp cast it's glow over the living room. Leading them into the kitchen, Kinsey, then poured them all a fresh cup of coffee.

Ghost spied some leftover bacon and biscuits, on the stove, and said, "Can I have that? We haven't had breakfast, yet."

"Sure, go ahead," Kinsey said. "What brings y'all over so early?"

"I broke the phone you gave us, and I was going to get another one. Where did you get it...here in town?"

"Yeah, there's a little branch phone place, over in the drug store, kinda in the back. They can set you up with one," Kinsey said. "What happened to the other one...you said it broke?"

"Yeah, well...I thought it got possessed by the evil spirit, and so I stomped on it," Steve said.

"You're not serious?"

"Yeah, I am, Kinsey. We were all scared of it, so I stomped it to pieces."

"It burned me," Ghost said.

Kinsey looked over at Ghost, who was still prowling around the kitchen, looking into cabinets, drawers, and the refrigerator. Frowning, Kinsey didn't even question, Steve's statement about the phone being possessed. They watched Ghost, as he and Steve continued talking.

"We finished our songs for the new CD," Steve said. "Now, Terry's over there mixing it, and getting it all on there. It will be ready any day now."

"Hey, that's great," Kinsey said. "Can't wait to hear them. Y'all will do a show, when we get back, won't you?"

"We plan on it, but keep us up to date. We'll need a day or two to get ready...oh, but maybe you'll need more time to rest up after you get home from all the travelling?"

Kinsey nodded, "I have a feeling we may need a few days, Steve, so maybe give us a week or so, before I open this place up again. I expect we'll be leaving as soon as y'all's business is done over at Terry's. I still want you to come by here to pick up any mail. Just generally check up on things, Steve."

"Don't worry, we'll keep an eye on things. You just have a good time."

"I will, and in case I don't see you before we leave, I'll tell ya bye now," Kinsey said. He reached into his pocket, then handed Steve the keys to the club.

"Ok, well, guess we should get going...you ready, Ghost?" Steve asked.

Ghost nodded, and came over to Kinsey, giving him a big hug. "Have fun on your vacation, Kinsey. I'll miss you," he said.

"Believe it or not, I'll miss you guys, too," Kinsey said. He walked with them downstairs.

"See ya, Kinsey," Steve said. He and Ghost headed off to the drug store, to find a phone.

~
At the drug store, Steve headed back to where he saw a hanging sign, advertising phones. Ghost had time to look around. There were decorations, knick-knacks, and cards, for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, on display. They all caught his eye. As he read some of the cards, he laughed at the ones that had turkey jokes.

Steve took awhile to choose which phone and plan he wanted, and debated whether to get a second one, for Ghost. He figured that Ghost had learned how to use the other phone, pretty good, and one of his own would make him happy, so he got the second one. Then, he went to find Ghost, who was over by the pharmacy. He heard part of their conversation. Ghost was explaining herbs and potions to the pharmacist. The funny thing was, the guy actually was interested in Ghost's ramblings.

He smiled, and listened for a few minutes. Ghost could hold his own on this subject, and the clerk was giving it right back to him. At a pause, Steve said, "Hey, Ghost, you ready? We should get going, now."

"Ok," Ghost said, and then to add one more parting word, he said, "Hey Steve, this here is Tommy, and he knows medicines and stuff. And, Tommy, this here is my boyfriend, Steve."

Steve and Tommy nodded and smiled to each other. "Your friend here, is quite the expert on the subject, himself. I'm impressed," Tommy said. "And, I've actually been over to the Yew when y'all were doing a show. Love your style, guys. When's the next one?"

"Soon, maybe in a few weeks. We'll put up flyers," Steve said.

"Well, y'all take care..." Tommy said, as he went back to work.

~
Back in the car, Steve showed the phones to Ghost. "These will be ready to use, as soon as the batteries get charged up."

"Cool, Steve," Ghost said, not quite as interested as Steve had thought he'd be.

"You know what I saw in there?" Ghost asked. "Thanksgiving stuff..."

"Yeah, it's coming up," Steve said.

"Are we gonna do anything?"

"Like what...I guess eat, and watch football, same as always," Steve said.

Ghost thought about it a minute. "Oh, this is the one without presents, huh?"

Steve laughed. "No, afraid not...no presents for this one...sorry."

As they drove down the main street, they passed by the record shop. "Wonder how Terry's getting on with the recording?" Steve asked.

Ghost shrugged. "You want to stop in to see?"

"Naw  not yet, I'm just going home for now, get these charged up. Then we'll call him, and see how it's going," Steve said.

~

Next part coming soon!




Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment