Friday, October 2, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 224

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 224
warning...adult content




~
Zach agreed to figure out a playlist for Gumbo to play in their upcoming show at the club. "I guess we all should practice some. I'll go over the songs and put the list together," he said.

"Hey, Steve, when are y'all going out to California?" Terry asked.

"Pretty soon," Steve said. "I have to call Linda and make sure it's ok to come help her. I mean she did invite us, but you know. We plan on flying out there, for real this time."

Terry laughed. "Hah, I'd like to see that. Didn't  y'all try that once before?"

"Shut up, Terry. Yeah, we tried, but we had some problems. We're up for it...I think...anyway, we'll have to get the days booked and whatever else there is to do," Steve said, and sighed. "Why is everything so complicated?"

"It's not that hard," Kinsey said. "Terry and I just called the travel agent, and they set it all up...no big deal."

"Oh, ok...well see, I didn't even know that part."

"Leave it to me, then, I'll get it set up for you. You just say when, ok?" Kinsey said.

"Don't worry about flying," Terry said. "it's really kind of fun, and way faster."

"I know, but how do we convince Ghost that we won't die?" Steve asked. He looked over to the arcade room, where Ghost and Trevor were shooting pool.

"Hmm, that will be tricky," Terry said. "Just keep saying positive things about it. Every time he makes an excuse, come back with something good."

Steve nodded. "Yeah...I'll try. Oh, by the way, when we're gone, who wants to watch Spirit? I mean, someone could stay at our place, or I can bring him to y'all. What do y'all think?"

"Well, I would, but I just stayed over at your place for over a week. I'm going to stay home awhile," Terry said.

"Me too, but you could bring him over here, if he don't mind a lot of people around," Kinsey said.

"Hey, let us keep him," Trevor said. He'd just got back to the table, and heard the end of the conversation.  "Spirit is a cool cat." He looked at Zach, "Ok with you?"

Zach nodded, "Sure, why not...bring him over any time."

"Great, that's settled then," said Steve. He got up to go find Ghost and let him know.

"Hey, guess what? Trevor and Zach will keep Spirit at their house whle we're gone. You ok with that?"

Ghost looked up from the shot he'd just made. "Yeah, that's fine. He likes them, and I know they'll take care of him."

"Yeah, that'll work out fine. I'm gonna go call Linda right now. I'll be in the office," Steve said. "We really need to get going on this."

Ghost didn't say anything, but was already getting anxious about the trip...and the flying part. He went back to his game though, trying to improve his shots. He'd never played very much before. Trevor joined him again, picking up his cue stick

"Did Steve tell you?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's fine. Spirit will like it I guess. He's pretty calm, and we'll bring his food," Ghost said. He racked up the balls again. "You break, Trevor."

They played a few rounds, and Ghost actually won one, but he suspected Trevor had just let him win it.

"Steve said y'all were flying out there," Trevor said.

"Yeah, looks like it."

"Don't worry, it'll be fun."

"I know, everybody says that, but that don't make me feel any better about it," Ghost said. He sighed, and shook his head. "I'm scared to, Trevor."

"Is it just because it's different, and new...or do you have a bad feeling about it?" Trevor asked.

Ghost shrugged. "Both...mostly 'cause it's new, I guess. I'll probably freak out...and I don't want to. But, how do you not be scared, when you are?"

"Oh, good question. Just keep telling yourself positive things about it. You know, like it's way faster...and Steve won't be all tired and cranky, like after driving a long time."

Ghost laughed. "That would definitely be a good thing."

"Yep, and look at the other people on the plane. If they're not looking scared, then there's no reason for you to be."

"Hey, yeah...that's right. Thanks for telling me that...it helps a lot."

Steve came back into the arcade room. "Well, everything's all set. Linda says she'll be ready in about a week. We'll help load some stuff in her car, and she has a moving company to take the big stuff. She said she'll rent a U-Haul, too, and we can drive it back here." He smiled, happy to have got it settled. "I'm telling Kinsey to call the travel people. We'll get our tickets, and leave next week. Ok?"

Ghost nodded. "I'm trying to not be scared."

"Me too," Steve said.

~
The week passed pretty fast. Kinsey did book their flight, and gave Steve the printout of their itinerary. Ghost explained to Spirit that he was going on a trip, and would be back soon, and that he'd be staying with Trevor and Zach. "They'll take real good care of you, my sweet kitty. Don't be afraid, ok?" Spirit seemed to understand. He looked into Ghost's eyes, and meowed. Ghost laughed. "I knew you would get it."

"Hey, have you packed yet?" asked Steve.

"No, not yet...have you?"

"Well, I have some stuff laid out on the bed. I figure a few changes will be enough. Are the suitcases in the back room?" Steve asked.

"Uh-huh, the last I saw them they were." He looked in his closet. "Guess I'll pick some things to take," he said to Spirit. He tossed a couple pair of soft, drawstring pants, his striped hoodie, and the long tie-dyed t-shirt, onto the bed. A few other shirts and socks and he was done. He'd wear his old Army jacket and jeans, on the way there. He put an extra notebook on the pile. His main one would be in his back pack with his markers.

"I got everything," he hollered to Steve.

"Good...I put your suitcase out in the hall," Steve yelled back. He was in his bedroom, packing his own stuff.

Ghost crammed all his clothes in his, and barely got it closed. He was sitting on the case, bouncing up and down to get it fastened, when Steve came in.

"I just thought of something," Steve said.

"What?"

"We need to go to the bank, and get some money. We'll need to pay for those tickets, and for eating, and all kinds of stuff, when we get there, and on the way back, too...and for gas," Steve said. "Let's go on up to Raleigh this afternoon, and get that done."

"Now?"

"Yeah, why not...we have time before they close."

So, they took off down the highway, and as usual, Steve drove fast, with the radio on loud.

"When are we going on the plane?" Ghost asked.

"Tomorrow afternoon...after lunch."

"Ok, so why didn't we just go to the bank in the morning?"

"Hah...I don't know," Steve said. "Guess I wasn't thinking...it would have saved us a trip up here." He started laughing, and Ghost just rolled his eyes.

~
Next part coming soon!


Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment