Sunday, October 4, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 225

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 225
warning...adult content





~
It was a quick trip to Raleigh, this time, and they got to the bank shortly before closing time. After taking out some cash from their safe deposit box, they stopped in at a fast food place, to bring something back for their supper. Missing Mile had a lot of good things about it, but not a lot of choices for take-out. It was always a treat, when they did stop in.

"I'm going to try to have good dreams tonight...about flying, and everything," Ghost said.

"That's a good idea," Steve said. "I'm sure we will be fine, but that helps, I'm sure."

After arriving home, they finished up their packing, and last minute details for the trip. Taking a break after eating, they tried to watch TV awhile, but couldn't concentrate, so went on to bed...Ghost to dream, and Steve to toss, turn, and worry.

He kept thinking of all he had to do before they left...and they had to be at the Raleigh airport by ten a. m.  So, he was calculating all this, instead of sleeping. He could hear Ghost already asleep, and muttering in his dreams. At last, he did sleep for awhile.

Right before dawn, though, he woke from a dream, but couldn't remember what it was about...it just left an unsettling feeling in him. He couldn't get back to sleep, so got up to start the coffee. He looked in on Ghost, who seemed peacefully asleep in his blankets, so he joined him. He hoped he'd be calmed by snuggling with him.

Slipping into the warmth by Ghost, he threw his arm over him, burying his face into Ghost's hair. He took deep breaths, trying to doze off, but Ghost was waking up, moving and stretching.

Noticing Steve in his bed, Ghost smiled, and gave him a kiss. "I know you're awake," he whispered.

"Mm-hmm," Steve murmured.

"I want to kiss you some more...do you want to kiss me?"

"Mm-hmm," Steve said, opening his eyes to find Ghost staring into his own. He smiled and they kissed again. "You still taste like molasses," Steve said. Ghost laughed, and pulled Steve closer.

Their time spent together this morning was slow and sensual. Feeling totally relaxed afterwards, Steve twirled Ghost's hair around his fingers. He'd almost forgot about his worries of the night before.

"I smell coffee," Ghost said.

"Yeah, I made it earlier."

"Ya want me to bring ya some?" Ghost asked.

"Yeah, would you?"

Ghost got up and went into the kitchen. He fed Spirit, and poured two mugs of coffee, bringing them back to bed, where they continued to talk and wake up.

"Well, we have a lot of stuff to do, today," Steve said, and started listing them out loud.

"I know, and tonight we'll be at Linda's house. That's so weird," Ghost said.

"I'm getting excited about the trip," Steve said. "So, guess we better get ready, close up the house, and take Spirit over to Zach's."

"I'm gonna miss him," Ghost said, stroking the cat, who had jumped up on the bed.

"Yeah, but we'll be back pretty soon...a few days, really," Steve said. He got up to take the mugs back to the kitchen. "Are you hungry? I can make something."

"Not really, my stomach is all jumpy," Ghost said. "Maybe just a cereal bar would be ok, though."

They both nibbled on one, as they gathered up their suitcases, got dressed, and put Spirit's food, bowls, blanket, and toys in a box. "Must be like if you have a kid, and have to take a bunch of stuff with you," Steve said, laughing.

With the house locked up, they all three piled into the car. They were quiet on the drive, arriving at Zach's pretty quick. "Are they even up, yet?" Steve asked. He knocked on the door, and after a few minutes, Trevor opened it.

"Oh, hey, y'all are here already," Trevor said. "Sorry, we were still asleep, but come on in. Hey Zach, they're here," he hollered. "Get up already." He turned back to Ghost. "You can let him run around and get used to the place."

Ghost let the wiggly cat down, and he began exploring. "I'll get his things," Steve said.

Zach came into the living room, pulling on a t-shirt. "This is gonna be fun," he said, watching the cat.

Steve lugged in all the cat things, litter box included. "Where ya want all this?"

They situated everything, and said their good-byes. Ghost was getting teary eyed, so Steve urged him toward the door, before it got too emotional. "Well, we'll be back in a few days...have fun cat sitting," he said.

Back in the T-bird, Steve saw Ghost brushing away a few tears. "He'll be fine..." he said.

"I know, just...it's happening," Ghost sniffed. "I'm ok with it, but it'll change now."

Steve frowned, wondering what Ghost was getting at. "Change? Oh...because Linda and her kids will be here and be part of our lives now?"

"Yeah," Ghost nodded. He sighed, and leaned his head on Steve's shoulder.

"It'll be different, sure, but they'll have their own place, and we'll see them a lot. You know how much I always missed them," Steve said.

"Um-hmm, and I'm really glad you found them," Ghost said, but then sobbed, wiping his tears on Steve's sleeve.

"Ghost? What is it? This is really upsetting you." He pulled the car over to the side of the road. "Look at me. Tell me why you're so sad about it." He took Ghost's face in his hands, kissing away some of the tears.

"I just...I'm happy for you, really. I just feel lonely or something. It's a weird feeling, like I'm empty inside, and alone, and it hurts me...so bad, Steve." He continued to cry.

Steve still couldn't get what Ghost meant. He just held him close, letting him cry, trying to soothe him.

Ghost began again, "Steve...I got nobody. I mean I got you, but I got nobody else...no other family. I feel so alone sometimes. Why don't I? Why is it like this? Am I the only one in the whole world that is part of me? All by myself? It shouldn't be that way, and it makes me scared, and small, and so lonely," he cried.

Steve cried too, for Ghost's pain was his own, and his heart was breaking for Ghost's sorrow. He rocked back and forth, holding Ghost close. "Aww, Ghost, I hate that you are feeling so sad. I don't know why things happen like they do, but you aren't alone in the world. You have me, and I'm your family. And, my sister, and all our friends. We all are connected forever. Maybe not by blood, but in the best way that counts...we love each other. We stand by each other, no matter what. That's more than some people who are blood related do."

Ghost nodded. "I know," he whispered. "It just gets me sad sometimes."

"Um-hmm, and when you do, just come to me and I'll help you through it, ok?" Steve said.

"Yeah, I will," Ghost said, sitting up and drying his face. He took a deep breath. "I love you so much, Steve," He gave him a hug.

"I love you, too, Ghost," Steve said. He started the car again, and they continued their way to Raleigh.

~
Next part coming soon!



Peace, Love, and Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment