Wednesday, January 27, 2016

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 273

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 273
warning...adult content




~
Steve kept driving toward the mountains, but needed to stop for gas one more time, so stopped at a little convenience store in the next town they came to.

"Have we been here before?" Ghost asked, as he looked around. They had gotten out of the U-Haul to stretch their legs a bit.

Steve was shaking the stiffness from his legs, as he pumped gas. "Yeah, we were here before. We played that bar one night. You remember, it's where somebody broke our windows in the car, and slashed our tires." He frowned at the memory.

"Oh, yeah, this isn't a good place," Ghost said. "Hurry up so we can get outta here." He climbed back into the truck, and locked the door.

Steve finished filling up the gas tank, and went inside to pay. Linda, Melody, and the kids were already in the van, waiting.

"You know what?" Melody asked. "This seems so familiar. I think I was here, and it may be where I saw Ghost and Steve for the first time." She thought for a minute. "It feels the same, and the people at the show were mean."

"Mean...how?" Linda asked.

"Well, they vandalized Steve's car, for one thing. They were rude in the bar, and I think there may have been a fight, or words said, or something. I only was there for a little bit. I didn't see anything, but you could feel it being tense in there," Melody said.

"It was the next morning, when I walked by, that I saw they were still here, out back in the parking lot. They were fixing the car, then they drove off. I don't think they saw me. I was kinda hiding by the building, and spying on them." She laughed.

Linda laughed, too. "Yeah, and now you find out you're family. That is a crazy coincident, for real."

They saw Steve come out of the store, and get into the U-Haul. They waited until he pulled out to the road, then followed.

~
"I'm ready to get the hell out of this po-dunk town," Steve said, when he got back in the truck. "They're still mean."

"Want me to go beat 'em up for ya?" Ghost asked.

"Huh? Oh, I see...you're making a joke."

Ghost nodded. "Yeah, are you too upset to laugh?"

"Kinda," Steve said. He sighed, letting his anger dissipate. "But, now we're leaving, and we'll never come back here, anyway." He pulled out of the parking lot.

Just as he did, a motorcycle roared around the corner, almost running into them. It swerved just in time, but they heard the driver, yelling obscenities at them.

"Asshole," Steve hollered, as he slammed on the brakes. It sent Ghost sliding off the seat, into the floor board. He bumped his head on the console.

"Dammit, Ghost...put your seatbelt on." Steve yelled. Then he asked, "Are you ok? Sorry for yelling. That guy was being a bastard."

Ghost reclaimed his seat, and rubbed the sore spot on his forehead. "Yeah, I'm ok...just a..."

"Ghost?" Steve asked, and looked over at Ghost, when he didn't finish what he was saying

"Huh?" Ghost asked, "What happened? I'm dizzy." He was holding his head.

Steve saw that Ghost's eyes were jerking back and forth. "Ghost, try to focus. Does anything hurt? You're not gonna pass out, are you? Do you need to lay down?"

Ghost shook his head. "No, just there's this knot on my head, and my head hurts, and I'm dizzy."

"I'm finding a doctor," Steve said.

"No...I'm fine, just let's go."

"I don't know, maybe we should," Steve said.

"Please, just go, Steve. This town is bad...I can feel it." He fastened his seatbelt, then leaned back, shutting his eyes. "It's better now, anyway."

"Ok, ok," Steve said. He drove slowly out onto the street. In a short time, they were out on the highway, heading east. They began to feel the change in altitude, as they drove higher into the mountains. Steve had to keep yawning, to keep his ears from feeling muffled. He did hear Ghost laugh, though.

"What," he asked.

"You look funny when you do that," Ghost said.

"So...don't you have to pop open your ears?"

"Sometimes, but not as much as you," he said, laughing.

"You feeling better?"

"Mmm, yeah. You're not spinnin' around anymore."

"Let me look at your eyes," Steve said, glancing over. He saw that they weren't jerking around trying to focus anymore, and the pupils were a normal size. "Good, that's good."

"Hey, do you think our friends at the restaurant are still there?" Ghost asked.

"Well, maybe. I guess we'll find out soon enough."

"I hope so. They were nice when we were here before. How much farther is it?" Ghost asked.

"Oh, about five miles or so. Probably take us about ten minutes."

"Ok, 'cause I'm hungry."

~

Next part coming soon!


Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment