Wednesday, January 15, 2014

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE (seventh installment)

7th Installment -
warning...adult content

Back at the Sacred Yew, they unloaded the supplies. Kinsey looked at his watch, "Well, it must have gone better than you expected, huh? Only took three and a half hours."

Steve muttered, "You just should'a been there."

Ghost stumbled in, then, carrying the fishing poles and wearing the hat. "Look what Steve'n me got!"

Kinsey looked surprised.

"It's fishing stuff, Kinsey. We're gonna go tomorrow and ketch us some, and Steve'll kill 'em and I'll cook 'em and...and then we'll eat 'em, and maybe we'll bring back some for you." Ghost babbled on and on.

"Was this really your idea, Steve?" Kinsey asked.

"Yeah, thought it'd be something fun to do."

"Well, I don't know what you've gotten yourself into, Steve, but y'all have fun. I've got to get back to work. Y'all be back here by eight, ok? Get set up and start the show by nine." '

"Yeah, I'm gonna go catch a nap I guess. Eight sounds good. See ya then," said Steve. "C'mon, Ghost, let's go."

"Kin I just stay here, Steve? I think I'll help Kinsey with his chores. I already took a nap on the way back," Ghost said.

"Suit yourself...see ya later," answered Steve, as he shuffled out the big wooden door.

Kinsey came back out of the store room and looked at Ghost, who just smiled and said he was going to help out awhile. "What 'cha need me to do, Kinsey?"

"Well, let's see...the floor needs mopping, the tables wiped down, the bar stocked, oh, and I still need to get the soup and sandwiches made. Why don't you get the mop and get started?"

Ghost made a sour face, then brightened up. "I kin do the food, ok?"

"You can do the food?" Kinsey looked doubtful.

"Sure, I do the cooking at home all the time. Steve loves what I cook."

"Well...," Kinsey hesitated, "it's just simple soup and sandwiches. I guess you can handle that, so ok, Ghost, it's all your's tonight."



                                                CHAPTER TWO


"Yay! Show me where the stuff is and I'll start," bubbled Ghost.

Kinsey showed him the kitchen area and supplies, ramen noodles, lunchmeat, and bread.

"I need enough for about a hundred customers, I guess."

"Ok, Kinsey, but not ramen...I hate that stuff. I'll make my speciality and surprise you, and it won't take long either."

"Fine, fine, let's just get started, ok?"

Kinsey began mopping the floors. Ghost worked as fast as he could, making a towering mound of sandwiches. He was just finishing up the huge pot of soup, when Kinsey wandered in.

"Hey, something smells great, Ghost! What kind is it?"

Ghost had Kinsey close his eyes and have a taste.

"Is that...potato soup?" Kinsey asked, reaching for another spoonful.

"Sure is."

"It's delicious, Ghost."

Ghost beamed at the compliment. "Well, it's all finished and there's still a while left before the show, so kin I just kinda rest a bit in your office, Kinsey, on that nice soft couch ya got in there?"

Kinsey smiled and nodded. Ghost took off while Kinsey finished up his chores and then took a much needed coffee break, himself. He then went to get his register tape and a few other items from the office. When he opened the door, he found that Ghost had indeed fallen asleep on the old couch. He looked at the eccentric young man, smiled, and shook his head. Who would have thought Ghost was such a good cook. He'd heard Steve going on about the banana pancakes and such before, but when had Ghost learned cooking anyway? Old Miz Deliverance must have been teaching him something after all.

He then noticed that Ghost had a book opened on his chest, while he'd fallen asleep.  "What on Earth?" he asked himself. "It's my old college math textbook."  He had all sorts of books in his office, as he was a bit of a hoarder and liked to read a lot. He never threw away a book. But, why would Ghost choose a math text to read? There were so many more interesting choices. He shrugged and went on about his business. "Maybe I'll ask him about it later," he thought.

Steve showed up pretty much on time, and Kinsey pointed to the office, telling him that Ghost had finally wound down...he should go wake him up. Steve entered the office and saw Ghost still asleep. His heart did a little flip flop as he looked at his best friend, all relaxed in sleep. Then he, too noticed the book Ghost had chosen.

He shook his head and his bottom lip quivered at the sight...the anguish it caused.

"Oh, Ghost," he whispered. "I'm so sorry it pains you so much."

Steve walked over to Ghost and knelt down beside the couch, watching him sleep for just a moment. He loved to watch Ghost sleep. Ghost always had the most vivid dreams, and always told him about them. Steve brushed a strand of hair off Ghost's forehead.

"Hey...wake up, Ghost," he whispered. Then he shook Ghost's shoulder. Ghost's pale blue eyes fluttered open, looking at Steve in that half awake state, then he smiled.

"Hey, Steve."

"You ready to sing?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, I'm always ready to sing," Ghost yawned and sat up, putting his arms around Steve in a warm embrace.

They had not noticed Kinsey watching them from the doorway. "Ahem," Kinsey cleared his throat. "It's about time, guys. I'm opening the door. The crowd's already getting impatient."





Next installment coming soon!






Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment