Wednesday, January 7, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE...# 110

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 110
warning...adult content


~

Ghost came back into the bedroom. "Let's go, Kinsey. I made a list."

"Now, Ghost," Kinsey said, "this is going to have to be a short trip. I have to get back to work."

"Ok, I can go real fast."

Steve started laughing.

"You had to go break your leg, huh, Steve?" Kinsey said, as he and Ghost were leaving.

~
On the way down the road toward town, Ghost chattered non-stop. From one observation to the next, whatever came into his head. After the five miles into town, Kinsey was already exhausted. He never knew that such a wall of words coming at him could wear a person out so fast...and they were just getting to the store.

"Now remember, Ghost, we can't take too long."

"Ok...why don't I take this part of the list, and you take this other part?" Ghost said, and ripped the list in half. "Then we can meet up at the check-out."

Kinsey's senses were sending him red-flag warnings about this idea, but he hated to shoot down Ghost's enthusiasm, already.

"Uh...maybe we should just stay together...?" Kinsey asked.

Ghost took a second before saying, "Oh, I see." He sounded pouty. "Steve already got to you, didn't he? He said I'll cause trouble in the store...well, shit...nobody ever gives me a chance to do things right."

"Ghost, it's not that...it's just we need to get a few things and get back. I have to go back to work," Kinsey explained.

"Fine, Kinsey," Ghost said. He got out of the car, making sure Kinsey saw how sad he was about it, by dragging his feet all the way to the store entrance.

Kinsey followed, shaking his head...what have I gotten myself into...

Inside, Kinsey got a basket. "Let me see the list." He held out his hand for it. Ghost handed it over, looking bored already. Kinsey gave him a look, "Cheer up, Ghost. It's not the end of the world."

"Don't worry, Kinsey...I don't think I'll go crazy in here."

That worried Kinsey, too; it left it open that Ghost just might go crazy in here...at any time.

They began up the aisle, Kinsey getting things from on the list. Ghost was dutifully standing by the basket, but would throw something in, every few steps, that wasn't on the list.

"What are you doing?" Kinsey asked, when he noticed. "What is all this stuff you put in here. It's not on the list."

"What...this stuff is what I forgot to write down, and Steve likes this stuff."

Kinsey sighed, "Ok, whatever...I hope you brought enough money for all this."

Ghost stopped walking. "Money?"

"Yeah, Ghost," Kinsey said, "you did bring some, didn't you?"

"Uh, I didn't remember to...Steve has all the money. He never gives me any."

"Well, how the hell ya gonna pay for all this? I swear, Ghost, you're getting on my last nerve, here."

"Don't yell at me, Kinsey. I don't know about money...and I don't like going shopping with you. You make me feel bad, and then you yell at me. I'm going home." He was crying, now, and he stomped off and out of the store.

Kinsey just stared after him. He counted to ten, and took a deep breath. Should I go after him or not? Aww, forget it...I've had enough...

He finished getting the items on the list, paid for them himself, and went back to the car. Ghost wasn't there, so he went back inside...maybe Ghost was still in there distracted by something. He had him paged over the loudspeaker, but there was no sign of him. He decided to go on back to the house...Ghost knew his way home...he'd show up eventually.

On the way out of town, about three miles down the road, he saw Ghost, walking home. He pulled over, waiting for Ghost to reach the car, but Ghost didn't stop, didn't even look over at him...just kept walking.

Kinsey got out and hollered, "Ghost...Ghost, get in the car."

Ghost didn't even turn around.

"Get in the fucking car, Ghost...right now, ya hear me?" Kinsey yelled.

Ghost kept on walking, but shot Kinsey the finger.

"Fine, be that way then," Kinsey said, as he got back in the car, and sped off toward the house, passing Ghost.

~
"Steve," Kinsey yelled, as soon as he got inside the house. "Steve," he yelled again, going into the bedroom. Steve was awake...

"What, Kinsey...what is it?"

"I got your stuff, it's on the counter," Kinsey said, running his hands through his hair. Don't ever make me go shopping with Ghost again."

"Why...what happened...where is he?"

"I swear, Steve, I see what you mean...it's a nightmare. He got mad, and is walking home...wouldn't even get in the car...shot me the bird...oh, and you owe me for the groceries...he didn't bring any money with him," Kinsey said.

"Aw, crap...that was my fault. I didn't even think of it. Well, take whatever it cost out of my wallet, over there," Steve said.

Kinsey did. "Guess I better get back."

Steve grinned, "I said I wasn't gonna say it, but I changed my mind...I told ya so..." He started laughing.

"I don't know how you put up with it, Steve," Kinsey shook his head. "Yeah, I guess I do, though...Ghost is Ghost, and well, we love him, even if he does drive us crazy."

"Yeah," Steve said, then they both looked toward the door, as they heard Ghost come in. "Uh-oh..."

As Ghost came into the bedroom, they could see he was still upset, but he came right up to Kinsey, and threw his arms around him. "I'm sorry, Kinsey. I'm sorry I got mad at you. Don't hate me, and be mad no more." He was crying again.

Kinsey hugged him back. "I'm not mad at you, Ghost...and I could never hate you. I just got frustrated for a minute. Don't worry, I got the groceries, and Steve already paid me back."

"Yeah, Ghost...it was my fault; I forgot to give you the money," said Steve.

"Ok..." Ghost sniffed. "I don't mean to," he said.

"Mean to what?" Steve asked.

"Mean to be crazy. I just can't stop. I wish I didn't know it...it's too hard to know it, and be crazy, anyway. I don't want to know it, that's all," Ghost said. He turned, going back into the kitchen to put away the groceries.

"What was that?" Kinsey looked over to Steve, but Steve had tears running down his face.

"Oh, Kinsey, he gets depressed so much...at the way he is...that he knows he's got so many brain problems, and can't do anything about it. He thinks it'd be better if he didn't know. I reassure him all the time, but he gets in these really dark moods. Sometimes I'm afraid he won't pull out of it...and, Kinsey, if someday he doesn't, and does something to end his pain...I'll die, too," he sobbed.

"Damn, Steve, I know you've told me before, but...I don't know...I'd do something, if I could, you know I wish I could help make it better," Kinsey said.

"I know, Kinsey, don't worry anymore about it. We'll be ok. He'll snap out of it...he always does..."

"Yeah, I've seen it too, how his moods change so fast," Kinsey sighed. "Well, I'll leave y'all to work it out. I gotta get back to the club. I'll call later, and check on you tomorrow...take care of that leg, now."

"Yeah, see ya, Kinsey, and thanks."

Kinsey went toward the front door, wondering if he should say anything more to Ghost, before he left...then decided he should. He went into the kitchen. "Hey, Ghost, I'm leaving now. Steve seems to be settled in ok. I'm sure you can handle it from here. I'll check in with y'all later, man."

Ghost was just sitting at the table; none of the items had been put away. He looked up at Kinsey, and tried to smile, but his eyes were still full of pain. He nodded, then put his head down on his arms on the table.

"Well, call me later, if ya need anything, Ghost," Kinsey said, then let himself out the front door.


~

Next part coming soon!




Peace, Love, & Writing

 

No comments:

Post a Comment