Sunday, April 10, 2016

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 305

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 305
warning...adult content




~
When Kinsey asked Terry to tell him exactly what had happened the night before, Terry took a few moments to gather his thoughts. Frowning, he looked down at the tabletop. He'd been going over everything in his head all night long, but now, to say it all aloud to Kinsey, he wanted to get it right.

"Let's see...I got a call from Steve. I was sound asleep, and it took me a bit to figure out what he was going on about. I mean, he was raving about Ghost, and then he must have fell down, or something, and he started crying and begging..." Terry shook his head. "He was a mess. I finally got a few words in, and I asked him what was wrong, and why wasn't Ghost at home with him. He told me they had a fight. Well, that put me on alert, Kinsey." He looked Kinsey in the eye.

"I came right out and asked him, did he hurt Ghost, and he admitted it to me. He said he broke up with him, was all. Then I said ok, I'd come over here to get Ghost. Well, when I got here, I found out Ghost's wrist was broken, or sprained, or something. Anyway, he hollered when I woke him up, so I knew something wasn't right. Did you even know about that, Kinsey?" Terry asked.

Kinsey shook his head. "Terry, I didn't even know Ghost stayed the night, and I didn't hear a thing. I just found out when Linda told me this morning."

"Well, you must have missed the thunderstorm, too."

"Yeah, the power was off, I think," Kinsey said.

"It was when I was here," Terry said. "Anyway, I told Ghost that Steve had hurt him for the last time, because I was going to kill him. That's when Ghost went off on me. I sure as hell wasn't going to bring Ghost out there to Steve, now, for God's sake, to be with him again, no way. So, I left here, got my car, and started out, but Ghost followed me, and I almost ran over him out in my driveway...knocked him down with the car, but he got back up, and wouldn't move from in front of the car, so I hauled him in, and all hell broke loose." He stopped, looking at Kinsey. "And that is the honest truth, right there, that and what I already told y'all happened." He rubbed his face. "I'm done, Kinsey, for real. I've had enough of those two, and all the damn drama."

Kinsey leaned back in his chair. "The girls...what are they gonna find, when they get out there? You sure they both were alive when you left? Maybe you just forgot you killed them?" He stared Terry down.

"Yeah, I'm sure...at least when I left they were. Both of them laying in a heap at the bottom of the porch steps."

"Ok, but damn it, Terry...you lost your mind taking a gun out there."

"Yeah, I know, but I swear I was gonna kill them both, I was so fucking mad." He shook his head. "I've been up all night going over it, and over it. I gotta crash, Kinsey." He stood up to leave.

"You know," Kinsey said, "if you'd have hurt either one of them, I'd have no problem taking you out, believe me on that. I'm dead serious, Terry."

"I know," Terry said, then headed out the back door and to his house.
~
Kinsey went up to check on the kids. All was fine, and they were watching cartoons on the TV. He brought Stevie and Mandy each a juice box, and banana muffins, then left them to it.
Down in his office, he tried to concentrate on work, but couldn't focus on anything. He hoped Linda would call soon, and let him know something.
~
On the way out to Burnt Church Road, Linda and Melody were frantic. "Why is this happening?" Melody wailed. "Please let them be ok. Linda, are they ok? Is what Terry said true?"

"We're about to find out," Linda said. "Let's hope for the best...and the truth. Melody, I hate to say this, but steel yourself. I mean, I think they are fine...I did talk to Steve, but just in case...oh, God, just in case...ok?"

They were driving down the long dirt road going up to the house, now. Then, pulling up in the gravel drive, Linda shut off the car's engine. Everything seemed quiet, and normal. There was no one on the porch, and no obvious signs of a fight.

"Ok, let's go in," Linda said. They started to walk up the steps, when Melody stopped, grabbing Linda's arm.

"Wait...look there, it's blood." She pointed to some red smears and blotches still visible, in spite of being rained on. Their eyes growing big with concern, they clasped hands to go up to the door. The screen was closed, but the main wooden door was wide open, which seemed odd. Stepping cautiously inside, they felt the hot, stagnant air in the house. Humidity was high, this afternoon, and there was no fan or air conditioning in the house.

They didn't see Ghost or Steve in the living room or the kitchen, so they walked slowly down the hallway, past Steve's closed bedroom door. They saw that the door to Ghost's room was open.

Hearts beating fast, they looked in.

~
Next part coming soon!


Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment