Wednesday, May 21, 2014

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... (forty first installment)

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
(41st installment)
warning...adult content





"Steve, I have to tell you something," Ghost said.

"What's that, Ghost? Is this gonna be scary?"

"No, I don't think so. I think it's something good. I hope you do, too."

Steve sighed, any number of things Ghost would think was good..like a new song he'd written, or finding a Jesus rock, or seeing a dragonfly and claiming that winter was not gonna be bad this year, or even a rainbow. So, he was startled to hear Ghost say,

"Kinsey came out here today...when you were at work." Ghost stopped to see if Steve had a reaction.

"And..." Steve asked, "what happened? Did you let him in, or pretend you weren't here?"

"I let him in...we talked." Ghost could feel Steve tensing up, maybe getting angry.

"Guess he was so happy to see his good as gold boy come back home. Never mind the bad boy he wouldn't even acknowledge was right here all the time," Steve said, throwing his beer bottle off into the bushes.

"Steve, please, let me finish," pleaded Ghost.

"Sure go on, Ghost, tell me all about it. What on Earth did y'all talk about? Hmmm? Oh, wait, it was about me, wasn't it...don't need no super powers to figure that one out, now do I?"

"Well, yeah, we talked about you, Steve, and other stuff, and..."

"What'd ya do, Ghost...beg and plead for him to like me again? Bet that worked like a charm. Had him wrapped around your little finger in two seconds, I'll bet. Is that how it went, Ghost...is it? I don't need to have you fight my battles for me. If Kinsey can't talk to me, to my face, then fuck him, that's all!"

He paused in his rant, staring hard at Ghost. He was surprised to see that Ghost hadn't broken down in tears, yet. In fact, Ghost was staring at him just as hard. Ghost wasn't backing down, he wasn't scared of his outburst at all. He actually looked a bit disgusted with him.

"Oh, shit, now I'm in for it," he thought. He knew when Ghost got mad, watch out and take cover. He hardly ever got mad, but when he did, it was very effective, because of the shock value."

Ghost stood up then, swaying a bit, as he leaned over Steve, who was still sitting on the grave.

"Stop it right now, Steve! Stop putting yourself down as the evil brother. Yeah, it happened just like you said. I begged and pleaded for Kinsey not to hate you anymore. Only because I know you wouldn't. I'm not fighting your battles, but maybe I opened the door a little, so you can. Face up to your shit, Steve. Own it and move on. Patch up the stuff with Kinsey. He does understand. He said for us to come back to the club. He wants to talk to you and make things right again. He's taken the first step, Steve, now it's your move. And, I hope it's one decision you'll make without letting your temper ruin it."

"Ok, ok, I get it," Steve said. "I still don't have to like it. I'll go talk to Kinsey, but you better be there to help me keep it together. I'll listen to what he has to say, and really, I'm tired of this bullshit. If we can call a truce, then maybe we can all get back to normal around here."

Steve was calming down now, and he had a completely random thought, out of nowhere..."Damn, Ghost looks so cute when he's mad."

Ghost narrowed his eyes, "I heard that, and it's not gonna win you any points, this time." But, he grinned his lopsided grin, and his eyes softened back to their usual sky blue, the stormy darkness fading away.

"So, we'll go over to the club after you get out of work. I'll meet you there," said Ghost.

"Ok, fine. Guess that will work," said Steve.

They went back up to the house and awaited a new day.

~

The next afternoon, Ghost walked into town to meet Steve. He hoped he wouldn't see anyone yet, and he didn't. The town felt deserted. It was kind of weird. Then, he understood why. Kinsey had spread the word that there was going to be a showdown between the three of them. Steve had told Terry what was up, and Terry had called Kinsey to let him know that Ghost and Steve were coming.

As Ghost got to the door of the Sacred Yew, he hesitated. Memories of all the time he'd spent there over the years came back, flooding his senses. This felt like coming home, too. He opened the big wooden door, entering the cool dimness of the club. Nothing had changed in the two years since he'd last been here. The smell was the same as always...stale beer and a smoky haze, left from last night's customers. The stage was the same, and his writing wall was still there. He was glad everything was the same. He'd missed the place.

He walked to the back, where Kinsey's office was. Kinsey looked up, as he entered. Smiling, he motioned for Ghost to come on in and have a seat on the old couch.

"Hey, Kinsey, I'm here. Steve should be here in a few minutes."

"Hey, Ghost, how did you convince Steve to come...that I wasn't gonna punch his lights out?"

"Well, I got mad and told him he had to," Ghost said.

Kinsey nodded. Then they heard the front door open.

"Hey, Steve, we're back here," Ghost hollered, but he was feeling anxious. This could either go good or go bad, and he was right in the middle. He sent Steve a silent message, to please stay calm, and to stay and work it out with Kinsey...don't go storming out. He hoped it worked.

Steve came to the doorway and just stood there, but gave Ghost a reassuring look. then, he looked over at Kinsey.

Kinsey spoke first, "Hey, Steve."

"Hey, Kinsey."

Ghost swivelled his head between them both.

"Y'all sit down, let's talk this thing out," Kinsey said. He was thinking, though, that this is the first time in two years I've seen these two together. It's amazing the instant electricity and silent communication they have. I've always known it, but these two were meant for each other.They fit so well together...the one dark, the other light...the one with the fiery personality, the other like calm blue water.

So they talked, going over the whole thing, piece by piece. There were some angry words, but they were able to contain them within bounds. There were tears, and there was forgiveness on all their parts. In the end they agreed to let the past stay in the past, and start anew. It took a lot from them emotionally, but it cleared the air.

Kinsey said they could play a show whenever they were ready, and that got them all on the subject of planning it. They were all feeling relieved after their long talk. Ghost and Steve left for home, and Kinsey just leaned back in his chair, shaking his head and smiling.


Next installment coming soon!




Peace, Love, & Writing
 



















No comments:

Post a Comment