Friday, March 27, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE...# 148

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 148
warning...adult content



~
In the kitchen, Steve scrounged around trying to find them something to eat. All he could come up with was ramen noodles, and some cheese that had dried up a little around the edges. Ghost came in, making a face, when he looked at the food, as Steve was dishing it up.

"That's it?"

"Yep, eat it or not, your choice. We really need to go get some groceries, and soon," Steve said.

"At the big store?" Ghost asked.

"Yeah, the big store," Steve said.

"Let's go today, and we can check if our book is ready to pick up. Oh, something else we need to do is get the money for Kinsey and Terry to take their surprise vacation on, too," Ghost said. He had to stop talking to shovel in some noodles.

"Well, guess we could," Steve said.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure the book is ready," Ghost said. "Do we have an crackers?" He got up to look in the cabinet.

"Oh, crap...I just remembered...I forgot to turn my phone back on," Steve said. He went into the living room to get it. "Kinsey said he'd called, but we didn't know." As he did turn it on, he saw they'd gotten several voice mails. "Hey, look at this...the printer called. The book is ready," he said, listening to the message.

"Told ya," Ghost said, and smiled.

"Why do we even have this thing? You're a wireless communicator all on your own," Steve said. He listened to the voice mail that Kinsey had left. "Hey, it says Trevor wants to talk to you, and to see him at the club whenever you can."

"Maybe later. I don't want to talk about that stuff, and especially not today, 'cause we're going to the store."

Steve shrugged, "Ok, we'll go to Raleigh as soon as you get ready."

They finished eating, and left soon after.

~
On the thirty mile drive, they discussed the CD they were in the middle of recording. "We have to decide for sure what songs we want on there, you know...what order, what cover art, any pictures...well, a lot of stuff...oh, and actually singing the songs. It's gonna take awhile," Steve said.

"Guess we'll be pretty busy, then. I kinda wanted to sing them for people first, though. I miss our shows, and it's been so long," Ghost said.

"I know, but if we have the CDs ready, then people can buy them at the gig," Steve said.

"And the book, too," Ghost said.

"Yeah, that's the plan."

Ghost leaned his head back on the headrest, "Steve, do you think we'll ever be famous?"

"Huh? I thought we already were...at least in Missing Mile," Steve laughed.

"I know, but anywhere else?"

"I don't know. I don't think of stuff like that," Steve said. "I just do my music because I love it. It's not for money or fame. I'd do it on the street corner, if I wanted to...and I don't care if people like it or not, it makes me happy," he glanced over at Ghost. "Is that what you want? You want to be famous...a big star?"

"Not really, but it would be pretty cool, though," Ghost said. "Anyway, it don't really matter, 'cause I sing all the time...'cause I have to, ya know. It's just something I have to do."

Steve nodded, "Yeah, and you want everyone to hear you, and like you, and be the center of attention...and with your voice and personality, you do deserve to be heard by millions," he said.

"Well, yeah, I do like all that, but just me and you at the Yew is what I like best."

"Me, too...we'll do it again pretty soon...I'm sure we will."

Ghost was done talking about it, and he watched the passing scenery go by for awhile, and made up a little song about it. Then, he had another idea.

"Hey, when do you get that cast off, anyway?"

""Maybe another week or so, I guess. My appointment is in a few days, so maybe they'll cut it off then. I really am tired of it."

"Do you want to stop by the hospital, while we're in town? Maybe they'll cut it off already," Ghost asked.

"Well, it is a few days early, but guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. After we do our other business, we'll go by, and see what they say," Steve said.

~
They pulled into the parking lot at the printer's shop. As they went in, the clerk looked up. He remembered them. "Hi, we have your order ready. Let me call back to the stockroom."

Steve was on guard for any inappropriate remarks. After the last time, when they placed the order, he didn't want a repeat.

"They'll bring your books right up," the clerk said. "Uh...listen guys...I want to apologize again, for how I acted last time."

Steve nodded, but didn't speak.

"Ok, then...there are four boxes. You should take one to check if it's to your liking." He glanced over at Ghost, who was looking at pictures of old printing presses, that hung on the wall. "I looked through the sample copy. You've got a real interesting book, and I hope you sell a lot," he said.

Ghost turned and stared at the clerk. "Thank you, but you don't have to say that. You think it's the scariest thing you've ever seen. You're scared of us, and you're thinking you want us out of here as soon as possible, and never come back."

Steve smiled, hearing that.

"No, no..." the clerk protested. "I really like the book, and y'all can come back any time."

"Liar," Ghost said. "Just give us the books, and we'll leave." He turned away, staring out the windows.

The clerk frowned. "Excuse me, then..." He went to the back room.

"I don't like him," said Ghost.

"I don't, either," Steve said, "but, we don't need to start something...even though I'd like to bash his smug face in."

Ghost snickered. "Me, too."

The clerk came back, followed by a workman pushing a dolly. There were four pretty big boxes on it. Handing Ghost a copy, the clerk said, "Look it over. I think it will meet with your approval." He was all business, now. "I have to say that," he continued, "but, I really do like your book. It's really interesting, and I'd be honored if I could be the first to buy one." He was actually looking hopeful.

Ghost and Steve were looking through the book. Ghost was smiling, now. "It's a real book, Steve."

"Yeah, turned out better than I thought," Steve agreed. "Ya want to sell him one?"

"I guess, but I thought you wanted to wait until we had a show, and sell the CD, too," Ghost said.

"Oh, well...it wouldn't hurt to spread the word early, here in Raleigh. Lots of the college kids come out to the club, and this would keep us in their mind for later. If this guy really does like it, he'll show it to his friends," Steve said.

"If he has any," Ghost said.

"I know, but if he really wants one, why not?" Steve said.

"Ok, guess so," Ghost said, "but I still don't like him." He looked over at the clerk. "Ya really want one?"

"Yes, I sure do. Me and some friends got interested in stuff like this, when we started watching those tv shows, you know, where they go hunting for ghosts in haunted places. I can show them this book, and tell them I met y'all, and y'all are real ghost hunters...right here."

"Ok, then, you can buy the first one. We're saving the rest for when our CD comes out, and we'll be selling those too...at the Yew, over in Missing Mile, when we do our show," Steve said.

"Y'all are in a band, too?" the clerk asked.

"Not in a band, we are the band," Steve said.

"This gets better and better," the clerk said. "Let me know when it is, and if you have flyers, I'll put them up around here...hell, I'll print them up, if you want...no charge."

"Yeah, thanks, we'll be sure to do that," Steve said.

The clerk took one of the books out of a box. "How much do I owe you?"

Steve looked at Ghost. They hadn't even thought about how much to charge.

"It's a real nice book," Ghost said. "How about..." he looked over at Steve for help.

Steve picked an amount off the top of his head, "Yeah, I think $25.00 ought to do it...but for you, I think we'll give you first buyers discount, and only charge you twenty. Sound good?"

"Perfect, thanks," the clerk said, "and listen...I'm really sorry I was so rude the other time. I really like you guys. My boss was giving me grief all that week for being unprofessional, but I'm new to this kind of job, so guess I went too far, when y'all came in. Anyway, sorry...and here's the twenty," he said.

"Sure, no problem. I think we're kinda getting to like you too, dude," Steve said.

"Ok, come back in when you get the dates and all for the flyers."

"We will. Ya ready, Ghost?"

"Uh-huh, but how are we gonna get all these in the car?" Ghost asked.

"We'll shove them in any way we can," Steve said.

The clerk helped trundle the load of boxes out to the car. After loading them, Ghost and Steve got in, and drove over to the bank for their other business in town. On the way over, Ghost kept admiring their book. "It's a real book, Steve, and we did it all ourselves," he clutched it to his chest. "It turned out so good, and the pictures, and my writing like I wanted. It's so cool, don't ya think so?"

"Yeah, we did good, Ghost," Steve said, as they both savored the feeling.

~
Next part coming soon!



Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment