Sunday, May 17, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 168

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 168
warning...adult content






~
"Let's hear the good news, Steve," Kinsey said, as he joined the others at the table.

Steve smiled, and said, "We finished our CD today." He looked over at Ghost. "Did ya bring it?"

Ghost dug around in his backpack, and brought out a brand new copy of their CD. "Here it is, Kinsey. We want you to have the very first copy...and we ain't even gonna make ya pay for it. It's comp...compli...well, what's that word, Steve?" he asked.

"Complimentary...yeah, for you, Kinsey," Steve said.

Ghost handed the CD to Kinsey.

"This is great, guys. Thank you all," Kinsey said, as he looked at the front and back of the CD. "I'll listen to it tonight."

"Well, Kinsey, I've got a clean slate, and I'm ready to go, whenever you are," Terry said.

"Ok, then..." Kinsey said, "we'll go tomorrow...everything's ready."

They continued to discuss their travel plans. Ghost and R. J. had gone over to the arcade room to play some games, and Steve racked up the balls on the pool table. Kinsey ordered pizzas to be delivered, and they all decided this was a party, after all...a CD launch party, and a bon voyage party for Terry and Kinsey. They were all enjoying themselves, listening to music on the jukebox, and challenging each other on the games.

After a few hours, things wound down, and Kinsey and Terry began cleaning up. "Well, guys, this has been really great, but I've gotta finish packing, and try to get some sleep," Kinsey said.

"Yeah, me too," Terry said. "Oh, Steve, here's the keys to the shop. You'll check up on things over there, too?"

"Yeah, we'll keep an eye on things for both of y'all."

They said their good-byes, and left, as Kinsey locked up the club. Terry, Steve, Ghost, and R. J. walked back down to the shop. "Later, Dudes," Terry said. "See y'all in about two weeks, or so."

"You ready to head home, Ghost?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, guess so."

"Hey, Ghost," R. J. said. "We should hang out more often. You're a lot of fun."

"Who, me?" Ghost asked.

"Yeah, I'll call you. We can go do something," R. J. said, as he got into his car.

"Ok, sure..." Ghost said. He smiled, but was a little unsettled by R. J.'s request.

Steve was leaning back against his car, and had been watching them. He rolled his eyes, and shook his head, as Ghost came over to the car. "What was all that about?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing. R. J. said he'd call me, maybe...said we could go do something sometime. I don't know..." Ghost said, shrugging.

"Why now, I wonder?" Steve asked. "In all these years y'all never hung out...hardly said two words to each other. So, why now? Just asking, I mean...I think it'd be great if y'all got together for games and whatever, sometimes. It's just weird, is all."

Ghost nodded. "I know, 'cause R. J.'s always been your friend...since you were kids. He's just being nice to me 'cause of what I did, and 'cause he feels sorry that I don't have any friends. That's all. He'll call, and we'll go do something, but it won't last, ya know. It's ok..." Ghost said, and sighed. He and Steve got in the car.

"Ghost, I think he means it. He wants to be your friend. He's always been kinda quiet and shy, and never had many friends, either. I think he's finally coming out of that, and wants to get to know you better...not just as a band member," Steve said. "I know we used to hang out, but we had different goals, I guess. Anyway, go have some fun sometimes. It's ok to do things without me."

"Ok, if he calls, I will, I guess," Ghost said. He leaned his head back on the car seat and closed his eyes. "Let's just go home. I gotta feed Spirit," he said, the conversation about R. J. over for now.

Steve drove them home down the dark, deserted highway. Steve turned on the radio, finding a song he liked, and hummed along. It had been a long day.

~
At the house, Ghost gave Spirit his cat food, and played with him awhile, there on the living room floor. Steve grabbed his book to read, and stretched out on the couch.

"When is Thanksgiving, Steve?"

"In a few days," Steve said.

Ghost didn't know what to make of that, so he just hoped Steve would let him know on the day of. "Ok, I'm gonna make a card, like I seen in the store, for Trevor and Zach."

"That's nice," Steve said, not really paying attention.

Ghost got out his markers and some paper, and began drawing. He was a pretty talented artist, even though he didn't think so. For this project, he drew a picture of the four of them, at a table, set with Thanksgiving food. This was done in pen, and very detailed. Next was a border of fall leaves, and over all, an orange and yellow shading. Inside he wrote, 'Thanksgiving is for friends'. Smiling, he showed it to Steve.

"Look, I finished it."

Steve took the card, and was struck again at how Ghost could capture a scene so realistically. "This is really good...you made us look real," he said. "I love this card, and so will they."

Ghost set the card up on the bookshelf, to enjoy looking at it, until time to give it to Trevor and Zach, when they went over for Thanksgiving dinner.

"Come here, Ghost," Steve said. He scooched over on the couch, so Ghost could sit by him.
"I don't think I tell you enough how much I admire you," he said. "I love everything you do. You draw good, you sing good, and you cook good. Well, I just wanted to tell you I appreciate you, and thank you for being with me." He hugged Ghost close.


"But, Steve...I act crazy, and make you mad...and do stupid stuff all the time. I'm not good enough for you," Ghost said, his voice muffled into Steve's chest.

Steve ran his hands through Ghost's hair, and brought his face up to see into Ghost's eyes. "Don't say that. I'm sorry I get mad sometimes, but I feel I can never measure up, be enough for you." He kissed Ghost, tenderly. His book fell to the floor, and they showed each other how very much they loved each other. There, they eventually fell asleep, each dreaming of the other.

~

As morning broke, Zach and Trevor were excited about hosting their dinner, the next day. They were having fun getting their house prepared, and were going later, into Raleigh, to the big grocery store.

"So, Zach...are you sure you can cook a turkey?" Trevor asked.

"Sure, it's just like a giant chicken, isn't it? You like how I make chicken, don't you?" Zach asked.

"Yeah," Trevor said.

"Ok, then, let's go get one," Zach said. They headed out to the store, where they bought everything they needed for them, and their guests.

~
Steve and Ghost woke, still on the couch, where they'd fallen asleep. They had no definite plans for the day, so took their time with breakfast and coffee.

"We should go into town, I guess," Steve said. "We can check on Terry and Kinsey's places."

Ghost agreed, and around noon, they drove over there. "This town is weird today," Ghost said, looking up and down the main street. "It don't feel right."

Steve checked the locks on Terry's shop, studio, and apartment. "I know what ya mean. I think it's 'cause they're both not here."

"Yeah, and where are the other people? You know, usually somebody is at the hardware store," said Ghost.

"Hell, if I know. Let's go take a look."

They walked across the street, and tried the door to the hardware store. Peering in the window, Ghost said, "The lights aren't on, either. You know those guys are always out here playing checkers...where are they?"

"Well, maybe since it's Thanksgiving tomorrow, they all went on vacation, ya think?" Steve said. "Lets go check the club, then see if the diner or pizza place is open."

They found that the Yew was locked up tight, with no problems there, so went back to their car. "I'm going to drive around town for a look see...this really isn't right, Ghost," Steve said.

~

Next Part Coming Soon!




Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment