Tuesday, December 22, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 259

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 259
warning...adult content




~
Ghost tried to sit up, now, as the cool water had revived him from passing out.

"Take it slow dude," Steve said. He helped him sit up in the front seat of the U-Haul. "How ya feeling?" He did see that the redness was about gone from Ghost's cheeks.

"Ok, I think...what happened?" Ghost asked.

"Honey," Linda said, "you passed out, maybe from the heat. We put cool water on you, thinking you'd had a heat stroke or something."

"Yeah, scared the shit outta me," Steve said. "One minute you were sleeping, the next, you were burning up and choking." He felt Ghost's face. "Well, you're cool now."

"Why was it so hot in here, Steve?" asked Linda. "I mean, it's hot outside, but not...well, you were fine, and we were fine in the van. I didn't have the air-conditioner on, either."

Steve shrugged. "Beats me. I'd have noticed if it was too hot. I was just gonna turn it on though."

"It wasn't just the heat," Ghost said. "I was attacked."

"What?...Attacked?" Steve and Linda asked.

Ghost frowned, thinking. "When I was asleep, I saw something bad. It was dark and spinning all around me, and was sucking the breath out of me. Did you see it in here, Steve?"

"Hell, I didn't see anything, just the road and then you choking, and turning red. Then I pulled over, and you'd fainted," Steve said. "That's creepy, Ghost...some evil thing was in here with us?"

"Well, it was real to me, and it was trying to kill me. Maybe the dream me...not me in here, but then it was both of us. I'm confused still...what was it?" Ghost asked.

"You're the one that dreamed it up...you tell me," Steve said.

"I'm glad you're feeling better, Ghost," Linda said. "I have to get back to the van and the kids. I can't leave them alone over there for long. Let me know when you want to get going again."

"Why'd you say that...being attacked...by what?" Steve asked.

"By the dark tornado thing," Ghost said. "It said something, too. It sounded like 'what's yours is now mine. Leave it be." He shivered.

"Is it gone, now?"

"Yeah, for now, but it'll be back the closer we get. I think it don't want me to find it...the thing we're looking for."

"Then let's just forget it then, like it said...leave it be," Steve said.

"NO...I have to get it."

Steve sighed. "Ok, then, if you want to get attacked again, let's go find it." He signaled to Linda, and they got back on the highway, heading for the state line.

They rode in silence for a few miles, without the radio music, and neither of them spoke. Ghost had leaned back, closing his eyes. Steve could tell he was concentrating on something, because he kept mumbling words in a barely audible whisper.

"What are you doing, Ghost?" Steve finally asked.

"Mapping...or GPS-ing, or whatever you call it."

"Oh, like in your head?" Steve asked. "You have a GPS in your head?" He was trying hard not to laugh.

"No, not a real one, just...I'm looking ahead of us, so I can see where we need to go," Ghost said.

"Umm, you gonna tell me where to go?" Steve asked.

Ghost snickered.

"God...not like that...you know what I mean," Steve said, rolling his eyes.

"Ok, ok, yeah, I'll tell ya," Ghost said. "Ok, there's a road that goes to the town Ozark. Well, it's marked on the highway sign. Take it, then I'll say which way to go from there."

They soon came upon the first sign that mentioned Ozark. "There's a sign, and it says twenty miles. You got any clue of where, or what it is yet?"

"Maybe. I keep seeing an old house, Victorian with a big old porch, and a bunch of things in the yard, with people looking around."

"That sounds like a yard sale to me," Steve said. "Ya think so?"

"Hey, that's it. Oh, now I'm getting excited, Steve. I love yard sales."

"Good, because here's the turn off road," Steve said, as he took the side road off the highway. "Got your radar on?"

"Huh?"

"Your GPS thing in your head...which way do we go?" Steve asked, as he pulled up to a stop sign.

~
Next part coming soon!



Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment