Wednesday, January 13, 2016

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 267

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 267
warning...adult content




~
"Yes, it worked," Ghost said.

"What worked?" Melody asked, as she watched Steve go into the little convenience store.

"The message I sent Linda...she got it," Ghost said, and grinned. "I said to her, 'camping would be fun, and save us money'."

"You did? I didn't hear anything. I don't think Steve did either." Melody frowned, as she thought for a minute. "Oh, I get it, you sent her a mental message? Can you show me how to do that?"

"I can try," Ghost said. "Just think of something real hard, and about the person you want to send the message to. Let's try one on Steve."

"Ok, so I just think really hard for him to do something?"

"Yeah, then when he comes back out of the store, we'll see if it worked. Maybe he'll say something about what you were thinking. So, try it now, before he comes out, but don't say it out loud, 'cause I want to see if I get it, too."

"This is fun...ok, here goes..." Melody said, and she began thinking, with her eyes closed. She thought it over and over.

Ghost smiled. "I got it," he said."

Melody opened her eyes, looking at Ghost. "Ok, what do you think it was?"

"It was, 'get some popcorn and beer', right?"

"That's right. Oh my God, it worked," Melody said. "Well, it worked on you. I hope it worked on Steve, too."

"Let me do one on him," Ghost said, and closed his eyes to better think of a message. After a minute, he asked Melody if she got any message from him.

"Umm, not sure exactly, but the word 'wine' came in my head," she said.

"That was it. You're getting good at this."

"Was that what you said? Just the word 'wine'?" Melody asked.

"Yeah, that's all. Steve will know it's for me, and what kind, if they have it in the store. He don't drink wine, just me...Scuppernong, so if he comes back with all that we ordered, well, cool," Ghost said. He looked toward the store. "Uh-oh, here he comes."

Steve came out of the store with several bags. He went to the van, and dropped it all in the back. "Ok, the guy said about a mile farther, there's a road that will take us to the KOA campsite," he told Linda. "Follow me."

He came back up to the U-Haul, and got in, telling Ghost and Melody the plan to go to the camping area. After a minute, he mentioned what he'd bought in the store.

"I got us some hot dogs and chips for our cook-out. Oh, I thought he kids might like some popcorn, too, so I got some."

Ghost and Melody smiled. "What else? You had a lot of sacks," Ghost said.

"Oh, well, I got us some cold beer. I feel like a drink tonight, it's been such a long day and all. I just need to chill for awhile. They had some of your favorite wine, too, Ghost, so I got you a bottle."

"Cool, that's great, Steve. I haven't had any in so long."

"Yeah, now I'm in a camping out mood. Y'all ready?" Steve asked.

"Let's go," said Melody. She raised her hand for a high five from Ghost, then they started laughing.

"What's so funny?" Steve asked.

"Nothing, just feeling good," Ghost said.

~
They drove to the camp ground, about two miles after they'd turned off on the road they were told about. It was nothing fancy, just several camp sites, with hook-ups for RVs, some metal BBQ grills, and a restroom/shower building. Steve went as far back as he could on the gravel road, avoiding the few other campers. There were two RVs and one tent set up. The RV people were inside; Steve could see the flicker of their TV set. The tenters were cooking, and looked like they were a family, gathered by the grill.

"Mmm, that wood smoke smells good," Melody said. "Now, I'm hungry."

"Me, too," Ghost said. He was hanging his head out the window, hair fluttering in the light breeze. "It smells like home, Steve. The pine trees..."

"I know," Steve said. "We're getting closer. I never noticed it before, but you're right, Ghost. Things smell different in different places. These trees are home trees." He stopped, and they got out, stretching their legs. Walking around felt good.

Linda and the kids were right behind them. She, Mandy, and Stevie, joined them."

"So, what do we do?" Melody asked. "Do we need to gather some wood?"

"Naw, not tonight," Steve said. "I bought some at that store. We can set up a little campfire." He looked around, seeing a cleared area, where a fire could be lit. "C'mon, Ghost, let's get the supplies."

Stevie and Mandy were running around chasing each other and laughing. "Stay right here," Linda said. "I'm going to help Steve unload. Can you keep an eye on them, Melody?"

"Sure, no problem," Melody said. She decided to join them in their game. They shrieked, when she tagged them.

Steve was handing supplies from out of the van. "Here, hold this, Ghost," he said several times.

"I can't hold any more, Steve. I'm taking it over there," Ghost said. He lugged several grocery bags, and the package of wood.

"Here, give me some of that," Linda said to Steve. "She took the cooler, and started back. The rest of the camping equipment was in the U-Haul. Steve opened it up, and took out the tents and cooking utensils. Ghost came back for another load, taking the sleeping bags. He was humming a song.

"This sure is a lot of trouble, when we could have stayed in a motel," Steve was thinking. "Money isn't an issue, after all," he reminded himself. He still forgot sometimes, though.

Linda and Melody were trying to set up the tents. They were the easy pop-up kind, but still a bit unwieldy. Ghost laughed. "Hey, Steve, remember the big old Army tent?"

"Yeah, I remember," Steve said. "Good riddance to that old thing."

"And, to spiders," Ghost said.

"Oh, God...don't let me see a spider," Melody said. "They scare me to death." She shivered at the thought.

Steve rolled his eyes. "You, too?" he asked.

"Yes, I can't stand them," Melody said.

"Did a spider make a web on you, too?" Ghost asked.

"I don't think so, but just running into a web is creepy. Are there any out here, around us?" she asked, looking around.

"Oh, honey, they're everywhere, but they don't bother you. They're scared of us," Linda said.

Melody wasn't too sure of that, and shook out a blanket, just in case.

~
Next part coming soon!


Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment