Friday, April 3, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE ... # 151

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 151
warning...adult content




~
"You remember how to do it, don't ya?" Ghost asked, as he handed Steve his gun.

"Sure I do," Steve said. "What are you going to do, pitch a plate up in the air?"

"Yep, I'll throw it up, and you shoot it."

"Ok, let's go."

They went outside, and Ghost threw up the first plate, as high as he could. As it came down, Steve aimed and fired, shattering it.

"Wow, that was great," Ghost said. "My turn, now."

Steve threw the next plate up, and Ghost shot and broke it with no problem.

"Good shot," Steve said.

"That's all the plates we used, though," Ghost said. "But, we could just get some out of the cabinet, ya know...want to?"

"If we're gonna get more at the thrift store, anyway, we might as well shoot what we have."

So they kept tossing plates and shooting them down, until there were no more left.

"That was so much fun," Ghost said. "When we get more, let's get a bunch so we can do it again."

"Yeah, need to keep in practice," Steve said.

Just then, they heard a car pull up out in the driveway.

"Wonder who that is?" Steve asked.

They heard someone knocking on the front screen door. As they went inside, and through the living room, they could see a uniformed man standing there. It was the sheriff of Missing Mile. Steve opened the screen for him.

"Hey, Jimmy, come on in," he said, letting the officer in.

"Hey, Steve...y'all ok out here? There was a report of someone hearing gunshots in this area," Jimmy said.

"Yeah, we're fine...just doing some plate shooting," Steve said.

"Plate shooting?"

"Yeah, me and Ghost were just practicing."

"Steve, I've known you and Ghost for a long time, and y'all hardly ever cause any trouble, but it's my job to ask to see those guns, and see if they're registered, and to see y'all's carry license," Jimmy said.

Steve swallowed hard. "Um, well, we don't exactly have that, and..."

"Steve, it's the law. I don't care one way or another...hell, most everybody around here has one. But, now it's been reported, that y'all are firing off weapons, I gotta do my job. I can't afford to lose it."

"You wouldn't turn us in, would you? I mean, we go way back, Jimmy. We just have them here for protection, out here, ya know. Sometimes we do target practice..."

Ghost came into the living room just then, and immediately sensed the situation. "Hey, Jimmy, what's up?" he asked, anyway.

"Hey, Ghost, I was just asking about the guns y'all have. Someone heard ya shooting out here, and reported it. So..." Jimmy said.

Ghost knew the sheriff didn't want to be here having this talk with them. "The guns were my grandmother's. She left them to me, when she died. She had them registered, and had a license or permit, and all; we just shoot 'em once in awhile," Ghost said.

"Do you still have the paperwork on them?" Jimmy asked.

Ghost thought a minute. "No, all of the papers we had, got ruined in the flood from the hurricane. Sorry..."

"Hmm, well, nothing to be done about that, then," Jimmy said. He narrowed his eyes, feeling like he'd been manipulated, but not sure how. "Guess I'll file my report as everything checked out ok. Sorry to bother y'all, tonight. Just be careful using them, from now on," he said. He headed for the door.

"Sure thing, Jimmy," Steve said. When Jimmy had left, Steve turned to Ghost, giving him a look. "What did you just do?"

"I didn't do anything," Ghost said.

"Yeah, ya did, ya got us out of trouble. That stuff about your grandmother leaving both guns to you...and paperwork getting lost?"

Ghost shrugged. "So, she did, and they did."

"But, not mine. I got that one on my own, from some guy Terry sent me to. You left that part out," Steve said.

"Oh, guess I did, huh?" He grinned.

"You're bad, dude," Steve said, shaking his head.

"I am when I have to be. Didn't want you to be hauled off to jail."

~
As they continued to enjoy their evening at home, Steve forgot all about calling Kinsey and Trevor, again. So, when their phone rang, it surprised them. When he answered, it was Kinsey on the line.

"Where are y'all?" Kinsey asked. "We were supposed to have a meeting tonight."

"A meeting?" Steve asked, "I never heard about a meeting. What for?"

"Well, that's just great...I thought Trevor went out there to let y'all know," Kinsey said, then hollered over to Trevor, who was now at the club. "Hey, thought you told 'em."

"I didn't see them. I left a note," Trevor said.

"Hey, Steve, Trevor said he left a note. Didn't you get it?"

"Well, we got a note, but it didn't say anything about some big meeting. Just that he wanted to talk to Ghost about something. I meant to call, and I tried to, but nobody answered," Steve said. "Why are you calling a meeting with the Séance Six?"

Ghost snickered at the label.

"So, what's the problem?" asked Steve.

"No problem, Steve, we just wanted to go over everything...closure, you know," Kinsey said. "Oh, and Trevor has an issue, and wanted to see if Ghost was having it, too."

"Well, Kinsey, sorry about the mix-up, and not being there. We'll do it another time. We're just exhausted, and want to stay home, and relax for a few days. We're fine...and as far as me and Ghost, the whole thing is over. We don't want to talk about it, anymore. So, we'll be in to town in a few days. Don't worry," said Steve. "Oh, Ghost has a surprise in the works for you, so...anyway, we'll talk soon."

"Fine, I'll let them know. Y'all be careful out there, ok? The sheriff came by here, and said somebody was shooting guns out your way."

"Really? Ok, we'll be careful, then," Steve said.

They ended the call. "Sheesh, Kinsey seemed all put out that we didn't show up to some big meeting. Give us a break." Steve sighed.

"What did you call us...the Séance Six?" Ghost laughed. "That's a great name for us."

"Yeah, well it just popped outta my mouth," Steve said.

~
Before Kinsey's phone call, they had been watching a movie. Settling back down on the couch, they tried to get back into the story. "Let's finish this, then I'm going to bed," Steve said.

Ghost lay his head in Steve's lap, while Steve absentmindedly played with his hair, braiding and unbraiding the long strands. They'd turned out all the lights, except for the small, salt crystal lamp in the hallway. The movie ended, turning the screen to blue, but neither of them noticed; they'd fallen asleep.

~
Next part coming soon!



Peace, Love, & Writing




No comments:

Post a Comment