Sunday, March 29, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE...# 149

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 149
warning...adult content




~

                                               CHAPTER 21

Steve drove over to the bank, in downtown Raleigh. As he looked for a parking spot, Ghost asked, "How are we gonna do this, Steve...just hand over a handful of cash to Kinsey and Terry?"

"Sure, or maybe we can get a card, and stick the money in there, ya know, like a happy vacation card, or even a thank you one. I'm sure we can find something that would work. We can write in there why we're giving it to them."

"Ok, well...you get out how much to give them, then," Ghost said.

They went into the bank, to open up their safety deposit box. Steve took out two-thousand dollars in cash, to give half to each of them.

"I figure this will take them someplace nice," Steve said.

"I'll bet they will be so surprised, too," Ghost said. His eyes lit up at the thought.

"Ok, where to now?" Steve asked, as they left the bank.

"Well, before the grocery store, can we go by the magic shop, where I got my potions? I want to tell her that it worked."

"Sure, let's go," Steve said. He drove down the street, finding the little shop again.

The lady greeted them with a hug, when they came in.

"We came to tell ya the potions worked real good," Ghost said.

"Let me look at you," she said, as she looked into Ghost's eyes. "Umm-hmm, yes...I can see you encountered the evil spirit, Ghost. And, I can see you and everyone present were strong and united as one, and were able to banish the demon." She was nodding and smiling. "It was difficult and tiring, but you all are lighter in spirit now, for having rid the world of one more evil."

"That's right," Ghost said, "it happened just like you said."

"Are you in need of more supplies, today?" she asked.

"Don't look at me, that's his department," Steve said.

"Well, we don't have any more séances to do, but I need some more sage brooms. I used the others already," Ghost said.

"Ok, I'll be right back," she said, going to get them.

Steve paid for them, when she returned to the counter. "Thanks, and we will be back, if I know Ghost."

Back in the car, Ghost opened the package. "Hey, look...she put in some free samples, too." He pulled out several small vials of essential oils. "This here one is for calm...and this one is for energy. They all say stuff on the bottles," he said.

"What do you do with them?" asked Steve. "Do ya drink 'em?"

"No, you just smell them," Ghost said. "Here, smell this one." He held up an opened bottle under Steve's nose. "It's the calm one...do you feel calm, now?"

Steve took a big inhale of the aroma. It smelled of oranges. "You know what...I think I do," he said.

They were pulling into the hospital parking lot, now. Inside, Steve explained his wanting to get the cast off early, but the person behind the counter wouldn't hear of it. Since it wasn't an emergency, and he did have an appointment for the coming week, she told him he'd have to wait. His regular doctor would have to examine his leg, as soon as the cast was off. They would have to come back, then.

"Well, guess I'll have to wait a few more days, Ghost," Steve said, as they went back to the car. They headed out down the road to the grocery store. "Let's try to get this done before they close up,ok?" he said.

"Ok, here's the list," Ghost said, taking it out of his pocket.

~

As the entered the grocery store, they saw it was already decorated for the upcoming holidays. There were fold out, honey-combed, paper turkeys, hanging from the ceiling. They were all twirling around in the breeze from the store's fans. One aisle was for left-over Halloween decorations, candy, and costumes. Most of it was haphazardly arranged on the shelves. Items for holiday cooking were stacked up on the end of the aisles.

"I don't know, Ghost...this is maybe too much for me, even," Steve said, as he stared at the bright colors.

"There's too many things to look at," Ghost said. "I think I'm getting dizzy."

They hadn't gone all the way into the store, yet, and the crowds of people were pushing past them, and bumping into them, too.

"Why is it all crazy, today?" Ghost asked.

"I don't know...I've never seen it like this, before. Here, let's move out of the way," Steve said, as he led them over by the baskets. "Do ya think we can handle it?"

"Yep, just hang on to me so I don't get lost from you."

"Ok, then...here we go." Steve grabbed hold of a cart, and they headed for the first aisle. Ghost had to push the cart, so Steve could maneuver his crutches around. They managed to get everything they'd come for, plus some extra snacks. Finally, they were ready to check out. The lines were long, and people were getting cranky at the long wait.

"Steve, I think I need to get out of here."

Steve saw that Ghost had broken out into a cold sweat, and was breathing fast. "Ok, just go wait in the car. It may take awhile, but I'll be there as soon as I can." He handed the keys to Ghost. "See if you can re-arrange those books, so we can get the groceries in there."

"Ok, I'll try," Ghost said, and he headed out the door.

Steve watched him go, hoping he wouldn't have to go looking for him when he got done here. The line inched forward.

Ghost made it to the car ok. He got in and leaned his head back on the seat, letting the panic slowly decrease. After a few minutes, he looked at the back seat full of books. He knew the trunk was full; there was no more room. "How am I supposed to make more room?"

He got out to open the back door. The two boxes took up all the space. He decided to open them, to lay the books flat on the seat. "That'll have to do," he said, wiping sweat out of his eyes. He wasn't clammy anymore, just hot. Looking toward the store, he saw Steve finally coming out, and an employee was pushing the full basket.

"I moved 'em around as best I could, Steve," he said, when they reached the car.

Steve was relieved to see Ghost was still there. "We'll make it work...somehow. You might have to hold some of the bags, though."

In the end, that's what they did. As Ghost sat in the front seat, he had the bag boy hand him the last four bags. He barely got the door closed, and could hardly see over the top of them. He tried peeking around them, but that didn't work very well either. Steve started laughing.

"What? What's so funny?" Ghost asked.

"You...I can hardly see you."

"So what, you don't need to see me to drive, do ya?"

"Guess you're right," Steve said. He started the car, and drove out to the highway toward home. "We got a lot done after all, today."

"Uh-huh, and now we got good stuff to eat."

"Yes...I was getting tired of noodles," Steve said. When Ghost didn't say anything, he looked over at him. His head was resting on a box of cereal, and his eyes were closed. "Figures...Ghost gets to sleep, and I get to drive. That's just the way it is."

"What is it...what is it?" Ghost said.

"Nothing, go back to sleep."

~
Back at home, Steve woke Ghost up. "Hey, we're home. You have to carry all this stuff in."

Ghost woke, and said, "I'll be so glad when you get that cast off. Then you can do stuff, again."

"Me, too...but for now, it's all on you, so get busy," Steve said. He got out and went to unlock the front door. Spirit was meowing around, happy to see them again.

Ghost managed to get out of the car, and he carried two bags inside. Then he went back for more, then again, and again. Then he started on the books. After trudging back and forth so many times, he was done. He sat on the porch swing to rest. "Hey, Steve, can you bring me something cold to drink?"

Steve did, and they both sat there, slowly swinging, and relaxing.

"That store was so crowded. I think we did ok, though," Steve said. "You didn't wander off, and I didn't lose my temper. I did see a few thing that weren't on the list, though. When did you put those Christmas ornaments in there?"

"When you weren't looking," Ghost said.

"That's what I thought. Well, I put in a few extras, too," Steve said. "Oh, here...I found this on the door, when I unlocked it." He handed Ghost a sticky note.

"It's from Trevor," Ghost said. He started reading it out loud. "It says, Ghost, I need to talk to you. Come to Kinsey's tonight. Trevor." He sighed. "Why? Why does he have to talk to me. I got nothing to say."

"How should I know," Steve said. "Just go see what he wants. I'll drive us over there tonight. You know he won't stop bugging you, until you do go talk to him, so might as well get it over with."

"Fine, guess we'll go."

"Did he say what time to meet over there?" asked Steve.

Ghost gave him a look..."Well, I read the words to ya...did any of that sound like a time?" he asked.

"No, guess it didn't." Steve got up from the swing. "You want to eat something before we go?"

"Naw, I'm not hungry, right now," Ghost said. "They were out here." He looked around the porch.

"So, they had to be out here to leave that note. What of it?"

"I just don't like them coming out here, that's all, and I didn't even know it."

Steve had to think a minute, to try to figure out what Ghost was really getting at. "What's the matter, Ghost? You've got something on your mind, I can tell. You've been in a pissy mood all day." He leaned up against the porch railing, watching Ghost. "First you didn't like the food I fixed, or the guy at the printer's shop. Then you didn't gush over the potions lady, and didn't go wandering off at the store. Now, you're mad 'cause Trevor happened to drop by. Oh, and you're not hungry, now...which is a first...you're always hungry. So, what's going on?" He waited for Ghost to answer.

~
Next part coming soon!



Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment