Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A to Z Blog Challenge...April 1, 2014...Letter A

This is the first post for the A to Z Blog Challenge. The letter for today is A.

Thank you for stopping by my blog! Comments are welcome. Happy reading!




ANTIQUES


Do you think antiques are haunted by their previous owners? Have you ever held a really old item in your hands and 'felt' the presense of the infused spirit of some long ago person? I have.

Antiques and relics all have stories to tell, if you just listen...not with your ears, but with your sixth sense and your heart. Hold the item...maybe an old brooch, a bone hairpin, a letter from WWI or WWII, a bow tie from 1820, or a yellowing, lace baby bonnet from 1842...in your hands. Be quiet...just listen.

Close your eyes, feel the shape of the piece. See if you can pick up any impressions that flash across your mind. Try not to think of anything but what you are holding. The images and thoughts you have will be random, and may not make much sense to you...but, these thoughts that drift across your mind, will probably be the infused essense of the person/spirit that once owned the item.

It's telling you a story...maybe about the baby who wore the bonnet; maybe it felt scratchy on their head, or maybe comforting, because they trusted their mother to protect their little head from the harsh sunlight. That this long ago baby lived a full, wonderful life, or later on, met with sorrow, you never know for sure, but rest assured, a bit of that person is left for you to discover...if you just listen.

I wouldn't say the item is haunted, though. It just holds the impression of the previous owner. It's a bit sad, really, that it has come to be sold out of the family. Someone thought enough of the person to have kept the item for so many years. It could be that this was the end of the line for it...no family left to pass it down to, as an heirloom.

I like to think I am rescuing it, that I was drawn to this place and time, to have found it...to find out it's long history...and to tell it's story.



Thank you for reading!


If you would like to, stop by my other blog to see what I've written for the A to Z Blog Challenge, letter A. You can find it here...http://teleportingweena.wordpress.com



Peace, Love, & Writing

2 comments:

  1. I love the history of things and their owners. I can see why you'd be drawn to it. Thanks for visitng Untethered Realms. Untethered Realms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and reading my blog! I appreciate your comment! I do have an assortment of small antiques, and they are fascinating. I really enjoyed reading your blog, and the subjects you cover! Best wishes for the future!

      Delete