Saturday, April 12, 2014

A to Z BLOG CHALLENGE...APRIL 12, 2014...LETTER K

A to Z BLOG CHALLENGE
TODAY'S LETTER IS........K

Thank you for stopping by! Comments welcome! Happy Reading!

(DOOR)  KNOCKERS

Door knockers are some of the most interesting looking decorations you can attach to a door. Their purpose is to alert someone inside, that they are being summoned to answer the door, by someone standing outside.

They were used, of course, long before the invention of electricity, and door-bells or buzzers. The knockers are made of metal, including cast iron, brass, and pewter. Some knockers are ornate and others very simple.

About the time of the Middle Ages, they became a fanciful house accessory. They are purposeful and decorative, and some designs have became more grotesque...a sort of warding off sign to discourage evil spirits. Some are of snarling lions, dragons, fish, hands, skulls, and anything one can imagine.

I've always wanted a door knocker on my door...maybe, somday. Until then, here is a look at some. There are lots of pictures of them on Pinterest and Google Images, also.

Thanks for reading! If you'd like to, hop over to my other blog for the letter K. It is at http://teleportingweena.wordpress.com



Peace, Love, & Writing

2 comments:

  1. We had a door knocker that our postman completely ignores as he bangs on the glass pane, everytime that happens I want to ask him to stop doing that and use the knocker and everytime I chicken out when I open the door. He's not scary I just can't seem to bring myself to say it!

    Mars
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for commenting! Maybe you could put a sticky note on the glass door part, asking nicely if the postman would please use the knocker? I think I'd like the sound of the knocking, rather than the doorbell. Well, I hope he brought you something good in the mail, at least!:) All my best to you!

      Delete