Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A to Z BLOG CHALLENGE....APRIL 9, 2014....LETTER H

A to Z BLOG CHALLENGE
Today's letter is..................H

Thank you for stopping by! Comments welcome! Happy Reading!




1,001 HORSE NAMES

I've always loved horses. One summer, when I was ten years old, I believe, I started a big project. My grand idea was to make a list of 1,001 names of horses. I settled on that number, because the movie "101 Dalmations" was popular at the time, and I figured, why not go bigger than 101...I'd do 1,001!

All that summer, I worked on the list...name, after name, after name. Some names I'd just make up, some were of real race horses. My grandad liked to go to the horse races at Ruidoso Downs, in New Mexico. When he got back, he'd give me the racing form from his trip to the racetrack. I'd study all the particulars about the horses, and pick out the names I liked, to add to my list.

The very first horse name I wrote was "Candy Spots", which was the name of a real race horse. I'd also draw pictures of horses to go with the list, since I loved to draw.

I actually still have that list, and I did make it all the way to 1,001! That was such a fun summer.


Hope you enjoyed reading this! If you'd like to, visit my other blog for the letter H... it is at http://teleportingweena.wordpress.com




Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment