Wednesday, February 4, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE...# 124

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
#124
warning...adult content




~
Stopping back by Kinsey's office, they told him they were heading home, then walked back to the record shop, to get the car.

"Kinsey don't want you to mess around over at Zack and Trevor's house," Steve said.

"You told him about all that?" asked Ghost.

"Yeah, 'cause I don't like it either," Steve said. He'd stopped walking, to look at Ghost, hoping to make him see how dangerous it would be. "Look how it's already messing with you, Ghost."

"But, I already said I would."

"Well, just tell them you can't, after all...tell them you changed your mind, or that it might make things worse over there, if we did the séance. Tell them anything, just call it off."

Ghost was shaking his head, as they got back in the car. "No, I won't do that. I'll go there by myself, if you don't want to, but I'm doing what I said I'd do. It'll be ok, Steve."

Steve sighed, closing his eyes, as he gripped the steering wheel. "Ok, but I'm still gonna keep bugging ya about it."

"I know," Ghost said. "Hey, let's drive by there now, just to see what it looks like in the daylight. It's been a long time since I even saw the house."

"Well, ok...guess that wouldn't hurt," Steve said. He started the car, and they drove out to Violin Road.

Driving slowly along the highway, they saw the dilapidated old houses, one after another. None were close together, but all were run down, sad excuses for houses. Some were empty, some had rusting cars out on the weedy lots, and the ones that were still occupied, had a scattering of kid's toys out in the scraggly yards.

"This area depresses me, Ghost," Steve said, "and I used to live out here when I was a kid."

"Was it this bad, back then?"

"Probably not, but what did I know...I was just a kid."

Ghost stared out the car window, sensing the many years of neglect and despair still hanging on. "That murder...did that happen when you were living out here?" he asked Steve.

Steve frowned, "I think so, but I don't remember much about it. Just later on, when we'd all go sneaking in there to get ourselves scared. So, Trevor was just a little kid, when it happened. They must have put him in an orphanage, after all that happened."

"Yeah, and now he's come back to live in that house, and the spirits of his family are still trapped there." Ghost shivered. "That's what's scaring them now, I guess...their spirits."

They kept driving, not completely sure which house it was, now, just hoping something would look a little familiar.

"Are we too far out, or what...did we miss it?" Steve asked.

"Go a little farther down...I'm getting a funny feeling," Ghost said.

Steve glanced over, "Funny?"

""Yeah, but not funny, you know..."

They kept driving, and soon ran out of any houses at all, just seeing farmland pastures.

"Ok, I'm turning back," Steve said, "Tell your 'feeling' to get it's shit together this time.

Ghost made a face at Steve, "Don't disrespect the 'feeling', Steve." He sounded almost serious.

"Um-hum...well, if we don't see it this time, I'm done," Steve said.

They drove back toward town, looking on both sides of the road. "Ok, slow down...that bunch of trees..." Ghost said, pointing. "There...there's a little dirt trail, kind of...at least the weeds are mashed down. Turn in there." Ghost was looking intently at the spot.

Steve turned in, and stopped. "Now what? I don't see a house, do you?"

"Not yet, just go on up a ways."

Steve eased the car a bit farther up the trail, weeds scratching at the underside of the car. "This takes my muffler out, somebody's gonna pay," he said.

After another little bit, they did see a form of a house, surrounded by trees. Still, it was hard to make out.

"Are you sure this is the house?" Steve asked, as he pulled up closer, and stopped.

There was no car there, nothing to really indicate this place was even occupied.

"Look at all the vines, Steve. I ain't never seen a house completely covered like that," Ghost stared in fascination.

"How do they even get in there?" Steve asked. He kept blinking his eyes, to try and make sense of what he was seeing. "I don't see an opening for a door, at all."

Ghost started giggling.

"What the fuck, Ghost? Why you acting like a fool, all of a sudden?"

Ghost kept on, until tears were falling, and he could hardly breathe.

"Stop it, Ghost...you're scaring me," Steve said, reaching over and shaking Ghost's shoulders. "Did the demons possess ya, already?"

This made Ghost completely collapse into hysterical laughter.

"Oh, Lord...I'm getting outta here," Steve said, starting the car up again.

Ghost managed to reach out and grab Steve's arm, which made Steve startle and yelp.

"No, stop...wait," Ghost choked out.

Steve glared at him, "Are you messin' with me, Dude, 'cause it aint' funny," he said.

"Oh, Steve...stop...I can't take any more," Ghost cackled. "Your eyes, your face...you look so scared, your hair's gonna turn white. Oh my God...I need some air," Ghost said, as he opened the car door, and got out. He didn't realize how completely weak from laughter and adrenaline he was, so as he stepped on the ground, his knees gave out. He fell face down, on the ground by the car.

Steve stared in disbelief. He cut the engine off, then jumped out, hopping around to the other side of the car, to see about Ghost.

"Ghost, what in the world has got into you?"

Ghost rolled over, holding his stomach, sore from laughing. "Ok, ok..." he tried to get control of himself, but the giggles kept coming.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Steve was getting mad now. "I'm gonna leave ya here, if ya don't stop."

"Help me up," Ghost said, taking a much needed deep breath. He wiped his eyes and nose on his sleeve.

"What was so funny?" Steve asked. "I didn't see anything funny going on."

"Just the way you said 'how do they get in, when you can't even see a door'...and then...then I imagined them having to use a machete every time they went in or out...and then...you...you all scared looking," Ghost explained.

"Yeah, 'cause of how you were acting...I thought them haints done got 'cha," Steve said, ignoring what Ghost had said about him being scared.

"Sorry, it was just funny," Ghost said. He'd calmed down now. "But, really, all this build up, and tension on me...I guess I just had to get it out."

"Well, ok, then...you done? You had enough, so we can go home, now? If they come home and find us snooping, it won't be good."

"Yeah, but I want to go look around the back, first," Ghost said.

"Uh-uh..no way," Steve shook his head.

"Yeah, just for a minute," Ghost said. He began walking over to the house, then around the side of the vine covered house. Steve followed.

"Hey, look at this," Ghost said, as they came to the back yard. There was a vine covered arbor, and a cleared path to the back door. "Guess this is how they get in."

Yeah, looks like it, but it's still not funny. Can we get out of here, now?" Steve asked.

"Ok, let's go. I got a feel for what I'll be dealing with at the séance, at least a little," Ghost said.

They got back in the car, heading down the highway for their own house.

~

Next part coming soon!




Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment