Wednesday, February 11, 2015

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE...# 127

TWO SOULS: INTO THE FIRE
# 127
warning...adult content



~

plink...plinkety...plink... Trevor woke to the sounds of plastic guitar strings. The almost full moon was giving enough light in the room, now, that he could see the toy guitar, there on the end of the bed. It was playing the notes with unseen hands.

Without taking his eyes off it, he shook Zach awake. "Didn't you take that toy out earlier?"

"What...uh...yeah...I threw it away."

"Well, look, it's back in here. Do you hear that music, or is it just me?" Trevor asked.

"I hear it," Zach said, sitting up in the bed. "Did you bring it back in?"

"Uh-uh...the house did," Trevor said.

They watched it a few more seconds, then Zach kicked out his foot, and sent the toy flying off the bed. It crashed into the wall, breaking apart...again.

"There, take that...and don't come back," Trevor shouted.

Zach clutched Trevor's arm. "What is it? What's that sound, Trev?" He turned his head to look around the room, into all the dark corners, but didn't see anything.

Trevor listened..."It...it's...it's growling at us...the house is growling at us, Zach."

The low grumbling, growling sound shook their insides, like the beat of a bass guitar on high volume.

"Hell, no...I'm not staying in here another minute," Zach said. "Come on, Trev...let's get out...hurry."

Grabbing a blanket, as they eased out of the bed, they tried to go quickly around the vines, snaking around the floor. As soon as they reached the bedroom door, they took off running, all the way outside, and out to the car. They jumped in, locking the doors.

Zach rolled down the window a little bit, and yelled at the house. "That was crazy, you stupid house...we're not scared...just need some sleep."

He looked at Trevor, then, and they both burst out laughing at the absurdity of it all. Then they tried to get comfortable in the car, one in the back seat, one in the front seat, until they finally did fall asleep. The rest of the night remained quiet. 

~

They were still asleep, the next morning, when Ghost walked up to their car and knocked on the window.

"Hey, in there," he hollered at them.

He'd been on his way to the cemetery, when he had the idea to drop by the Violin Road house. That's when he saw Zach and Trevor asleep in the car.

"Hey, guys...wake up" Ghost kept knocking on the window. He was bent down, peering in at them.

When Trevor opened his eyes, all he saw was a pale face, with frizzed out hair staring in at him. He screamed.

"What is it?" Zach asked, coming awake, not sure if it was real, or if he was still dreaming about monsters. He finally realized he was seeing Ghost, and not some evil house spook.

Ghost laughed, and moved back, waiting for them to open the car door.

"Trevor, it's just Ghost, that's all. Let's get out." Zach scrambled to unlock the door, and he and Trevor got out.

"Dude, you scared the shit out of us," Zach said, still shaking a bit. "What are you doing out here?"

Ghost was grinning, "Sorry, I was on my way to the cemetery, and wanted to come see ya."

"Hey, were you and Steve out here snooping around my house?" Trevor asked.

"Yeah, we wanted to talk to y'all, but you weren't here. I kinda needed to get a feel for the house, ya know...before the séance. It was really hard to find this place." Ghost looked around the area, seeing again the vine covered house. "This place feels creepy," he said, as a matter of fact.

"Look at my hair, it's full of electricity, all standing out, and sparkly, and tingly. Are y'all's doing that?" Ghost asked.

Trevor shook his head. "No, I don't feel anything, do you Zach?"

"Not right now, but I did earlier...and a time or two before that. What's causing it, ya think?" Zach wondered.

Trevor thought for a minute. "Maybe because both of you are like outsiders? Maybe the house doesn't like anyone that's not my original family?"

"That makes sense, I guess," Zach said, "and Ghost is psychic, so it is doubly mad, trying to warn you and me away."

Ghost stared wide-eyed at the house, then back to Zach and Trevor.

"You gonna back out now, Ghost?" Trevor asked.

"No, it makes me want to do it more. I'm not saying I know what to do, ya know; I've never done anything like it, before. But, I still want to try...if y'all still want to," Ghost said.

"Yes," Trevor said.

"Definitely," Zach agreed.

Ghost was nodding, "Ok, well, Steve and I was wanting to do it soon. He'll tell ya when, 'cause I don't really know days and stuff, so he'll talk to you at the show, ok?"

Zach looked confused. "You don't know days?"

"Yeah, so I can't say when, but now I gotta go see my grandmother at the graveyard. She might have something to tell me, and I go out there every Halloween...well, other times, too, but now I gotta go." He turned and started walking away.

"Bye?" Zach said, still confused, as he watched Ghost walk off down the road. He shook his head, trying to clear it, then asked Trevor, "What the hell was he talking about? Seems like he always talks in some sort of code, or riddles, or something. It's like he says a lot of words, but you still don't know what he's saying."

Trevor shrugged, "I have no idea," he said. But his eyes were lit up, and he was smiling, as he watched Ghost leave. It was a look that said he'd really like to get to know Ghost a lot better.

Zach saw it too. "You still have a crush on him, don't you?"

"Huh? No, well he's interesting. Maybe I could put him in one of my comics or something," Trevor said.

"Or something..." Zach said, shaking his head. "Let's go in. We can't stay out here in the car forever, and we need our stuff to get ready for tonight."

They walked back around to the back door of the house, holding hands. "Are you mad at me?" Trevor asked.

"No, not really...and you're right, Ghost is interesting," Zach smiled.

They went inside, a little hesitant to find out if the house had done any more mischief. They tried the lights and water again, and all was working fine. Going into the bedroom, however, was another story. Zach saw it first.

"Hey, Trevor, come look at this."

Trevor joined him there at the bedroom door. "Son of a bitch!"

This startled Zach, as Trevor hardly ever got riled up enough to curse. "Careful, Trev..." he said, as he held up his arm to prevent Trevor from charging into the room, without checking things out further.

The vine covered wall seemed to have exploded into the room. There were leaves and tendrils everywhere, snaking across the floor, and over the dresser, along the perimeter of the room, up by the ceiling, and hanging from the light fixture. But the focal point had to be the bed. There, right in the middle of it, was an intricately woven nest of leaves, on which the toy guitar lay, not broken at all, now.

"That's it...I've had enough," Trevor said. "We're not staying here another day. Get your stuff, Zach." He turned from the door, stumbling off into the living room, brushing at his eyes. Zach followed.

"Trev, wait, it'll be ok." He was getting alarmed, because Trevor was crying, but trying not to.

"Why...why did I ever come back here?"

Zach put his arm around Trevor. "You had to find out," he said.

"Yeah, I had to find out. And, what good did it do...none. You're right, this house is evil. It's trapped us in it's spell, and I think it was evil even before my dad killed everyone. It made him do it. Oh, I know he was an alcoholic, and an abuser before then; even when I was a kid, I knew that. But everything got worse, when we came to this evil house," he shouted.

He stomped off to the kitchen, grabbed a butcher knife from the drawer, and started slashing at the vines in the bedroom. He went at them in a blind rage.

"Trevor, stop...it won't help," Trevor said.

"I don't care, it makes me feel better to hurt it. I want to kill, I want to kill the vines, the house...like it killed my family." He kept slashing.

Trevor wasn't able to get close, to stop him, afraid he'd get slashed, too.

~

Next part coming soon!




Peace, Love, & Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment