Friday, September 13, 2013

THE NEW NORMAL

It's been two days now since September 11th.  Most everyone remembers where and what they were doing when they heard what happened that day.  I'm no different......it is forever stamped in my memories as "one of those days".                                           

Here is my memory of that oh so normal day that turned into tragedy.
I was at the table eating breakfast cereal.  The morning news was on the tv, but I wasn't really paying much attention to it.  I did hear the breaking news announcement, though and looked up at the screen to see what had happened.   There were pictures of the first World Trade Center building with smoke coming from it.   For some reason I felt I needed to record this on a VCR tape, so ran to put one in.   That is just when the second plane crashed into the second WTC building.  I knew then that the first one was no accident.  
I could not look away.  It was sickening, and kept getting worse. I couldn't help thinking it resembled a disaster movie......how and when was it going to end.   I taped the news channels all that day.   Phone calls to loved ones were made, discussions were had, and speculation and suspicion began.  
We all know the outcome.   The massive and senseless loss of life was unacceptable, answers were needed, and steps had to be taken to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.
The day after the 11th, we woke up to a changed worldview.   The new normal had begun.   Did you feel it?   Do you feel it still?   Does every anniversary of the day bring back the same horror you felt those many years ago?    It does for me.   Every time I board a plane or attend an event, even going to a mall.....the thought in my head is always "what if", but I try to put the thought away and go about my business of living.  I suppose that's all anyone can do in their personal day to day activities.   Yes, it is the new normal.


Peace, Love & Remembrance

No comments:

Post a Comment